Re: ETSI on Minimum Requirements for European ENUM Trials

  • To: Richard Shockey < >
  • From: Jim Reid < >
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:09:17 -0700
  • Cc: David Conrad < >
    Stastny Richard < >

    >>  Although the ENUM and DNSSEC protocols are orthogonal, the
    >> fact is they will need to be joined at the hip before
    >> production ENUM services can start.

    Richard> We are going to have to agree to disagree here. I am not
    Richard> convinced of this at all and the suggestion continues to
    Richard> make me nervous.

Your disagreement is making me nervous! By pushing back on DNSSEC, you
appear to be implying things which scare me. Either there's no risk
from DNS spoofing under e164.arpa or else there's something other than
DNSSEC that will prevent spoofing or the consequences of that spoofing
don't matter. Please tell me it isn't so.

I would be glad to hear of some way of countering DNS spoofing attacks
-- in general, not just for ENUM -- so if you have ideas on how to do
that without requiring DNSSEC, I would very much like to know more
about them.