IANA Stewardship Transition
- Anyone is welcome to provide feedback throughout the IANA stewardship transition process
- Feedback can be submitted via the RIPE Cooperation Working Group mailing list
- Anyone can subscribe to the RIPE Cooperation Working Group mailing list
- Anyone can subscribe to the NRO ianaxfer mailing list
- Address Supporting Organization Memorandum of Understanding (ASO MoU)
- Including Global Policy Development Process
- Current global Internet number policies
- RIR Accountability
- Current NTIA Agreement
- NTIA Announcement (March 2014)
- Current IANA Key Performance Indicators (in relation to allocation of Internet numbering resources)
- RIPE draft proposal (9 October 2014)
- RIPE Cooperation Working Group Mailing List
- Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team
- Response to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group Request for Proposals on the IANA from the Internet Number Community [FINAL, 15 January 2015]
- Archive of ianaxfer _at_ nro _dot_ net mailing list
- Subscribe to ianaxfer _at_ nro _dot_ net
- IANA Stewardship on the Agenda at RIPE NCC Roundtable Lunch for Governments and Regulators
Following on from many successful Roundtable Meetings for Governments and Regulators, the RIPE NCC organised a Roundtable Lunch for public sector participants adjacent to the RIPE 70 Meeting in Amsterdam on Thursday, 14 May 2015.
- Call for Comments for a Draft SLA for the IANA Numbering Services
On 15 January, 2015, the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) Team submitted the Internet Numbers Community Proposal to the request for proposals issued by the IANA Stewardship Coordination Group (ICG).
- IANA Stewardship and ICANN Accountability Dominate ICANN 52 Discussions
The 52nd ICANN meeting was held in Singapore from 8-12 February, attracting around 1800 participants on-site, as well as numerous remote participants. The issues surrounding ICANN accountability and the transition of IANA stewardship were again at the top of the agenda, and RIPE community members and RIPE NCC staff contributed to these discussions.
- Internet Number Community IANA Proposal Published and Submitted
On 15 January, the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team submitted the Internet numbers community’s proposal on IANA stewardship to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG), as requested by the ICG.
- Second Draft of Numbers Community IANA Stewardship Proposal Published
The Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team has published a second draft of the Internet numbers community proposal on the transition of the IANA stewardship.
- RIPE Community Selects CRISP Team Members
Following an open call for community volunteers, the RIPE Chair, Hans Petter Holen, has confirmed the appointment of two individuals from the RIPE community to the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship (CRISP) team.
- ICANN 51: Continuing Global Discussion of IANA Stewardship and ICANN Accountability
The 51st ICANN meeting was held in Los Angeles, USA, from 11-16 October 2014, with questions surrounding the IANA stewardship transition and the accountability of ICANN driving much of the agenda.
- IANA Stewardship: Draft RIPE Proposal Published
An initial working draft of the RIPE community proposal on IANA stewardship has been posted to the RIPE Cooperation Working Group mailing list.
- RIPE NCC and CENTR Hold Joint Meeting With Governments
The RIPE NCC and CENTR, the European country code top-level domain (TLD) organisation, held a meeting on Wednesday, 1 October 2014, in Brussels, Belgium, for governments and regulators to discuss issues of relevance to both the RIPE and CENTR communities.
- RIPE NCC Re-affirms Commitment to Operate K-root Name Server
The RIPE NCC has been providing DNS root name service at k.root-servers.net since 1997. As the global Internet community considers changes to the NTIA oversight of key DNS functions, the RIPE NCC wishes to assure the Internet community that our commitment to providing this service and to coordinating appropriately with ICANN and the other root server operators will not be affected by the outcome of these discussions.
This draft is open for public comment until 14 June 2015. More information is available at:
The Internet Numbers Community Proposal on IANA Stewardship
On 15 January 2015, the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team submitted to Internet numbers community's IANA stewardship proposal to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG).
The full text of this proposal is available at:
A full record of the CRISP team's development process, including previous drafts, mailing list archives, teleconference recordings and minutes and information about the CRISP team itself, is available on the NRO website.
The ianaxfer _at_ nro _dot_ net mailing list provides the most comprehensive record of engagement by the numbers community, the CRISP team and the RIR staff on issues relating to IANA stewardship
The following video provides a basic overview of the IANA stewardship transition process and the status as of 15 January 2015:
RIPE Community IANA Stewardship Principles
The RIPE community asks its selected CRISP team representatives to work with the other RIRs to produce a common proposal for a legally binding agreement (such as a Service Level Agreement) between ICANN and the RIRs to replace the Internet number-related elements of the ICANN-NTIA agreement.
This proposal should meet the requirements of the Request For Proposals (RFP) produced by the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG).
The proposal should bring the provisions of the agreement related to the services and service levels up-to-date with current requirements where necessary.
This work should be coordinated with the other users of the IANA function as much as practical, with the aim of producing a proposed arrangement that is compatible with the proposed arrangements of the other IANA users.
The RIPE community asks its CRISP team representatives to keep it informed about progress and content of the proposal.
The RIPE community asks the CRISP team to complete the proposal and to submit it to the ICG before 15 January 2015.
Changes to the policy-making structures or processes relating to the IANA registries are not within the scope of the IANA stewardship discussion.
Updated by the RIPE CRISP representatives, 28 November 2014
Important Documents & Links
RIPE and the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs)
NTIA and Current IANA Arrangements
IANA Stewardship Process