IANA Stewardship Transition
- Anyone is welcome to provide feedback throughout the IANA stewardship transition process
- Feedback can be submitted via the RIPE Cooperation Working Group mailing list
- Anyone can subscribe to the RIPE Cooperation Working Group mailing list
- Anyone can subscribe to the NRO ianaxfer mailing list
- Address Supporting Organization Memorandum of Understanding (ASO MoU)
- Including Global Policy Development Process
- Current global Internet number policies
- RIR Accountability
- Current NTIA Agreement
- NTIA Announcement of its intention to transition stewardship of the IANA functions to the global community (March 2014)
- Current IANA Key Performance Indicators (in relation to allocation of Internet numbering resources)
- RIPE draft proposal (9 October 2014)
- RIPE Cooperation Working Group Mailing List
- Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team
- Response to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group Request for Proposals on the IANA from the Internet Number Community [FINAL, 15 January 2015]
- Archive of ianaxfer _at_ nro _dot_ net mailing list
- Subscribe to ianaxfer _at_ nro _dot_ net
- Archive of internal CRISP mailing list
- Service Level Agreement for IANA Number Services, Draft 2 [Comments close 23:59, 31 August 2015]
- Internet Number Community Review Committee Charter, Draft 1 [Comments closed 6 July 2015]
- ICANN 53: Another Milestone in the IANA Stewardship Transition Process
The IANA stewardship transition process reached an important milestone during the recent ICANN 53 meeting (21-25 June in Buenos Aires, Argentina), with all three of the IANA operational communities now having submitted their responses to the Request For Proposals issued last year by the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG).
- Call for Comments for a Draft Internet Number Community Review Committee Charter
On 22 June 2015, the NRO published a draft of the Internet Number Community Review Committee Charter for public comment.
- EuroDIG 2015: RIPE NCC Report
EuroDIG, the European Dialogue on Internet Governance, held its seventh annual meeting in Sofia, Bulgaria on 4-5 June 2015, attracting around 500 participants for two days of wide-ranging Internet governance discussions.
- Report on the WSIS Forum 2015
More than 1,500 people gathered in Geneva, Switzerland, from 25-29 May for the tenth annual WSIS (World Summit on the Information Society) Forum.
- IANA Stewardship on the Agenda at RIPE NCC Roundtable Lunch for Governments and Regulators
Following on from many successful Roundtable Meetings for Governments and Regulators, the RIPE NCC organised a Roundtable Lunch for public sector participants adjacent to the RIPE 70 Meeting in Amsterdam on Thursday, 14 May 2015.
- Call for Comments for a Draft SLA for the IANA Numbering Services
On 15 January, 2015, the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) Team submitted the Internet Numbers Community Proposal to the request for proposals issued by the IANA Stewardship Coordination Group (ICG).
- IANA Stewardship and ICANN Accountability Dominate ICANN 52 Discussions
The 52nd ICANN meeting was held in Singapore from 8-12 February, attracting around 1800 participants on-site, as well as numerous remote participants. The issues surrounding ICANN accountability and the transition of IANA stewardship were again at the top of the agenda, and RIPE community members and RIPE NCC staff contributed to these discussions.
- Internet Number Community IANA Proposal Published and Submitted
On 15 January, the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team submitted the Internet numbers community’s proposal on IANA stewardship to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG), as requested by the ICG.
- Second Draft of Numbers Community IANA Stewardship Proposal Published
The Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team has published a second draft of the Internet numbers community proposal on the transition of the IANA stewardship.
- IANA Stewardship: Give Feedback on the Draft Proposal From the RIR Communities
The Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team has published the first draft of an Internet numbers community proposal for the future of the IANA stewardship.
IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) Proposal, Draft 1
Comments can be made via an online form by 23:59, 8 September 2015
Service Level Agreement for IANA Number Services, Draft 2
Comments may be posted to the ianaxfer _at_ nro _dot_ net mailing list by 23:59, 31 August 2015
CCWG-Accountability Proposal, Draft 2
Comments can be made via an online form by 23:59, 12 September 2015
The Internet Numbers Community Proposal on IANA Stewardship
On 15 January 2015, the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team submitted to Internet numbers community's IANA stewardship proposal to the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG).
The full text of this proposal is available at:
A full record of the CRISP team's development process, including previous drafts, mailing list archives, teleconference recordings and minutes and information about the CRISP team itself, is available on the NRO website.
The ianaxfer _at_ nro _dot_ net mailing list provides the most comprehensive record of engagement by the numbers community, the CRISP team and the RIR staff on issues relating to IANA stewardship
The following video provides a basic overview of the IANA stewardship transition process and the status as of 15 January 2015:
RIPE Community IANA Stewardship Principles
The RIPE community asks its selected CRISP team representatives to work with the other RIRs to produce a common proposal for a legally binding agreement (such as a Service Level Agreement) between ICANN and the RIRs to replace the Internet number-related elements of the ICANN-NTIA agreement.
This proposal should meet the requirements of the Request For Proposals (RFP) produced by the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG).
The proposal should bring the provisions of the agreement related to the services and service levels up-to-date with current requirements where necessary.
This work should be coordinated with the other users of the IANA function as much as practical, with the aim of producing a proposed arrangement that is compatible with the proposed arrangements of the other IANA users.
The RIPE community asks its CRISP team representatives to keep it informed about progress and content of the proposal.
The RIPE community asks the CRISP team to complete the proposal and to submit it to the ICG before 15 January 2015.
Changes to the policy-making structures or processes relating to the IANA registries are not within the scope of the IANA stewardship discussion.
Updated by the RIPE CRISP representatives, 28 November 2014
Important Documents & Links
RIPE and the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs)
NTIA and Current IANA Arrangements
IANA Stewardship Process
Transition Implementation Documents