You are here: Home > Manage IPs and ASNs > Resource Transfers and Mergers > Mergers and Acquisitions

Mergers and Acquisitions

Internet number resources can be transferred due to a change in the company structure of an organisation holding them, for example, in the case of a merger or acquisition. Allocated IPv4 and IPv6 space, Provider Independent (PI) IPv4 and IPv6 assignments, and AS Numbers can be transferred in this way.

Transfer of Allocated Resources

An organisation that receives allocated IPv4 or IPv6 address space currently held by a RIPE NCC member (LIR) needs to be a member of the RIPE NCC. In the case of a merger or acquisition, the receiving organisation can:

  • Apply to be a member prior to the transfer taking place (more information can be found here).
  • Assume the membership of the transferring organisation (if all of the member's Internet Number Resources are being transferred). The transferring organisation is then no longer considered a member.

How to get Started With a Transfer due to a Merger or Acquisition

In the case of a merger or acquisition, the LIR holding the address space, or the sponsoring LIR of either the transferring or receiving End User, can contact the RIPE NCC using the registry update form (requires authentication).

The request should include:

  • The resources being transferred
  • The Transfer Agreement signed by both parties. This agreement must be signed by company directors that are legally authorised to sign/act on behalf of the organisation
  • The company name and contact details of both parties
  • Recent company registration papers for both parties
  • Official legal documents issued by a national authority proving that a merger or acquisition has taken place

A change to the structure of an organisation must be supported by documentation from a national authority describing the change (such as a network acquisition of one member by another); otherwise it will fall within the scope of the RIPE transfer policy. More information can be found here.

Updating the Company Name

If a RIPE NCC member has changed their legal name, this will need to be updated prior to the RIPE NCC processing any transfers. To update the company name in our records, the member can contact the RIPE NCC using the registry update form and include:

  • The new company registration papers
  • The official legal documents supporting this change

Further Detail on Transfers

For further detail please refer to the RIPE NCC Procedural Document, "Transfer of Internet Number Resource Records and Change of a Member's Official Legal Name".