Skip to main content

Voluntary Transfer Lock

How to request the Voluntary Transfer Lock

If a member or End User wants to request a Voluntary Transfer Lock on some or all of their internet number resources, it must be declared to the RIPE NCC for approval.

Important Notes:

  • All transferable resource types (IPv4, IPv6 and ASN) registered with the RIPE NCC are lockable.
  • A Voluntary Transfer Lock cannot be requested for Legacy resources.
  • Only a whole allocation or assignment can be locked, not a part of it.
  • The Voluntary Transfer Lock will be implemented from the date on which the RIPE NCC approves the request.
  • A Voluntary Transfer Lock is irrevocable once it has been implemented.
  • The Voluntary Transfer Lock will be removed automatically at the end of the agreed upon period.
  • For a new Voluntary Transfer Lock, a new request must be submitted.
  • The RIPE NCC will publish all active locks on its website.

Required Documents

You will need to include the following documents with your request:

  • For legal person: recent company registration documents of the resource holder.
  • For natural person: we will send you a link to our third party iDenfy to verify your identification document.
  • The Voluntary Transfer Lock Request Form signed by a representative that is legally authorised to sign/act on behalf of the organisation.
  • Documentation that proves that signees are authorised to sign on behalf of their organisation (this is usually visible on the company registration document).

Voluntary Transfer Lock Request Form

Download form

Required Information

You will need to provide the following information by completing the Voluntary Transfer Lock Request Form:

  • A list of the Internet number resources for which a Voluntary Transfer Lock is being requested.
  • The duration of the Voluntary Transfer Lock (6, 12 or 24 months).

The Steps You Will Need to Take

For LIRs

A registered user of the member's LIR account must submit the request through their LIR portal.

Request Lock

For End Users

The sponsoring LIR of the End User must submit the request on behalf of the End User through their LIR portal.

Request Lock

If you don’t have access to the LIR Portal, you’ll need to email [email protected] and request access.


Once all supporting documentation has been received, we will evaluate your request according to the applicable RIPE policies and RIPE NCC procedures. The Voluntary Transfer Lock will start on the date on which the request is approved by the RIPE NCC.

Relevant Policies and documents