You are here: Home > Manage IPs and ASNs > IPv6 > Request IPv6

Request IPv6

We distribute IPv6 address space to networks within our service region.

If your organisation is a member of the RIPE NCC, you already qualify for an IPv6 allocation. More information on how to request an IPv6 allocation is available.

Please follow the links "Resources" > "Request Resources" in the LIR Portal to request an initial or a subsequent IPv6 allocation. You will need to provide the following objects in the request form:

  • A maintainer object (mntner) to protect your allocation.
  • The NIC handle of a person or role object. This object will specify who is administratively or technically responsible for the allocation.

The mntner, person and role objects are RIPE Database objects. They contain the information needed to authorise the creation, deletion or modification of other RIPE Database objects.

Address space from an allocation can be further distributed to third parties (such as customers). This is not possible with Provider Independent (PI) assignments.

The minimum allocation size is a /32 (equivalent to 65,536 /48s). However, you can request up to a /29 without providing any additional justification. You can indicate the desired allocation size in the request form.

Organisations may qualify for an initial allocation greater than a /29 by submitting documentation that reasonably justifies the request. You can find further information on the assessment criteria for IPv6 allocations.

LIRs are required to demonstrate their allocation usage by registering inet6num objects in the RIPE Database to indicate the address space is being used. You can find more information on how to register inet6num objects and which "status:" attributes you can use here.


If you are not a RIPE NCC member and you need an IPv6 prefix for your network, you can receive a Provider Independent (PI) assignment. More information on how to request and qualify for an IPv6 PI assignment is available.

You can't actually request IPv6 PI assignments directly from the RIPE NCC. Instead, you will need to find a RIPE NCC member to request it on your behalf. This can be your upstream provider, or any other organisation that is a member. A complete list of our members is available.

Once you have found an organisation to request the IPv6 space on your behalf, it will become your "sponsoring LIR". You need to provide them the following RIPE Database objects for the request:

  • An organisation object with the full legal name of the End User organisation.
  • A maintainer object (mntner) to protect the assignment.
  • The NIC handle of a person or role object. This object will specify which end user contact is administratively or technically responsible for the assignment.

The following documents will also need to be provided:

  • A copy of the End User's registration in the Commercial Trade Register or an equivalent document.
  • A fully signed Independent Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement.

There are two model agreements you can use: the Independent Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement for normal assignments and the Temporary Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement for temporary assignments.

It is not mandatory to use one of these model agreements, but you must confirm that the agreement you provide meets the requirements listed in paragraph 2.0 of "Contractual Requirements for Provider Independent Resource Holders in the RIPE NCC Service Region".

Holders of IPv6 PI assignments are only permitted to use address space for the infrastructure of their own legal entity. In addition, while it is possible to further assign separate addresses (/128) from the assignment to external parties, it is not possible to assign a prefix (not even one /64 or /96).

There are configuration mechanisms where a /64 is needed to provide a separate address for a customer, for instance by using dedicated (V)LANs to temporarily connect WiFi customers. While this is considered to be acceptable, the RIPE NCC will evaluate such requests extra thoroughly and might request additional technical documentation to ensure the customer really only receives a separate address.

What you CAN use an IPv6 PI assignment for:

  • The organisation's own infrastructure (office network)
  • Software as a service (webmail, online shop, portals)
  • Operating a public WiFi hotspot (each device receives only one separate IP address)
  • Setting up point-to-point links with third parties
  • Allowing visitors connect to your network
  • Connecting a customer server or an appliance to your network (each device receives only one separate IP address)
  • Internet Exchange Point (special policy applies)
  • Time-limited purpose, such as academic research or conferences (special policy applies)

What you can NOT use an IPv6 PI assignment for:

  • ISPs offering broadband services
  • Large organisation networks (Organisations have separate legal sub-entities within their network)
  • Governmental organisation networks that have other entities within their network
  • Collocation services
  • Assigning a subnet to another entity

If you would like to use IPv6 for any of the above cases, you can become a member of the RIPE NCC to request an IPv6 allocation, or you can obtain IPv6 address space from your upstream provider.

The minimum size of an IPv6 PI assignment is a /48. Organisations requesting a larger assignment must provide documentation justifying the need for additional subnets or define special routing requirements for the additional sites for which they need an additional /48 independent IPv6 prefix.

Request IPv6
(authentication required)

If you operate a lot of RIPE NCC memberships and would like to automate the request process, you can use Resource Request API.