Skip to main content

How to Request an IPv6 PI Assignment

Who Can Request an IPv6 PI Assignment?

You can't request IPv6 PI assignments directly from the RIPE NCC. Instead, you will need to find a RIPE NCC member to request it on your behalf. This can be your upstream provider, or any other organisation that is a member of the RIPE NCC. A complete list of our members is available. Once you have found a member to request the IPv6 space on your behalf, it will become your "sponsoring LIR".

How much IPv6 addresses can you get with a PI assignment?

The minimum size of an IPv6 PI assignment is a /48. If you need a larger assignment, you must provide documentation justifying the need for additional subnets or define special routing requirements for the additional sites for which they need an additional /48 independent IPv6 prefix.

You CAN use an IPv6 PI assignment for:

  • The organisation's own infrastructure (office network)
  • Software as a service (webmail, online shop, portals)
  • Operating a public WiFi hotspot (each device receives only one separate IP address*)
  • Setting up point-to-point links with third parties
  • Allowing visitors connect to your network
  • Connecting a customer server or an appliance to your network (each device receives only one separate IP address)
  • Internet Exchange Point
  • Time-limited purpose, such as academic research or conferences

* Holders of IPv6 PI assignments are only permitted to use address space for the infrastructure of their own legal entity. In addition, while it is possible to further assign separate addresses (/128) from the assignment to external parties, it is not possible to assign a prefix (not even one /64 or /96).

You can NOT use an IPv6 PI assignment for*:

  • ISPs offering broadband services
  • Large organisation networks (organisations having separate legal sub-entities within their network)
  • Governmental organisation networks having other entities within their network
  • Collocation services
  • Assigning a subnet to another entity

*If you would like to use IPv6 for any of these cases, you can become a member of the RIPE NCC and request an IPv6 allocation, or you can obtain IPv6 address space from your upstream provider.

What You Will Need

To request an IPv6 PI assignment, you will need to provide us with the following documents:

  • For legal persons: Recent registration document from the relevant national authorities.
  • For natural persons: A digital copy of the End User’s passport or another valid ID document. The validity of the document will be verified by a third party called iDenfy.
  • A fully signed Independent Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement.

There are two model agreements you can use: the Independent Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement for normal assignments and the Temporary Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement for temporary assignments.

It is not mandatory to use one of these model agreements, but you must confirm that the agreement you provide meets the requirements listed in paragraph 2.0 of "Contractual Requirements for Provider Independent Resource Holders in the RIPE NCC Service Region".

You will also need to provide your sponsoring LIR with the following RIPE Database objects information for the request:
• An organisation object with the full legal name of the End User organisation.
• A maintainer object (mntner) to protect the assignment.
• The NIC handle of a person or role object. This object will specify which end user contact is administratively or technically responsible for the assignment.

The Steps You Will Need To Take

Once you’ve collected all the information, you will need to ask your sponsoring LIR to start the request on your behalf by clicking the button below.

Request IPv6
(authentication required)

If you operate a lot of RIPE NCC memberships and would like to automate the request process, you can use Resource Request API.

Get Support for your IPv6 Request

If you have any questions before you submit your IPv6 request, you can use the contact form to send us a message – we’ll be happy to help.