The NetNews working group coordinated news traffic to decrease the load on the backbones. The working group was about coordination of Netnews distribution in Europe. It was born at RIPE 23 Meeting in Amsterdam. Meetings took place from RIPE 24 in April 1996 through to RIPE 43 in September 2002.
- improve interprovider Netnews flow in Europe
- coordinate intercontinental newsfeeds where necessary
- strive for efficient use of the underlying infrastructure and a fair distribution of load
- work towards an improved and monitorable quality of the News service
- coordinate efforts against spam and other malign problems
- maintain a discussion forum and an info point for backbone newsadmins