FAQ: Becoming a Member

Show or Hide answer What are RIPE NCC members and LIRs?

Organisations that join the RIPE NCC become RIPE NCC members. All members have a Local Internet Registry (LIR) account that they use to manage their resources and interact with the RIPE NCC.

LIRs are responsible for the distribution and registration of Internet number resources at a local level. LIR account holders also ensure that RIPE community policies and procedures are followed at a local level.

Show or Hide answer Why should I become a member?

If your organisation needs IPv6 address space and AS Numbers, and/or makes assignments to End Users or customers, you should become a RIPE NCC member. RIPE NCC members are also eligible to receive a one-time allocation of a /22 of IPv4 address space from the last /8 of IPv4 address space for their LIR account. Any legal entity or natural person can become a member of RIPE NCC.

Show or Hide answer Can I get Internet resources without becoming a member?

Yes. If you need a small amount of IPv6 addresses and don't make assignments to End Users or customers, you can get resources from another RIPE NCC member. See how to request Independent Resources for information on how to get IPv6 addresses without becoming a member.

Show or Hide answer How much does it cost to become a member?

RIPE NCC members pay a one-time sign-up fee and an annual membership fee.

For a detailed overview of the costs involved in becoming a member, please see the RIPE NCC Charging Scheme and the RIPE NCC Billing Procedure and Fee Schedule.

Show or Hide answer How do I become a member?

If you want to become a member, you will need to read the information and fill out our online membership application form.

Before you send us your application, read the following documents carefully:

RIPE NCC Standard Service Agreement

The overview of our current fee schedule

Show or Hide answer What are the company registration papers I need?

Official registration papers are the trade register documents that prove your company is a registered legal entity, authorised to carry out business activities in your country. Your local Chamber of Commerce usually issues these. If your organisation is a governmental one, we need documents stating that your organisation is a legal entity in your country and is authorised to carry out its business activities.

Show or Hide answer Can I send my signed agreement as a scanned copy?

No. We need to receive the signed hard copy of the agreement. If you would like us to process your application faster, you can fax your signed copy to us at +31205354445. We will process the faxed agreement straight away and wait for the hard copy before completing the process.

Show or Hide answer What happens during the application process?

Once we receive your application form, we do an overall check of your application. Once we have approved your application we will send you the invoice by email and the Standard Service Agreement by DHL. (The SSA for Dutch applicants will be sent by registered mail.)

Show or Hide answer How long does it take to become a member?

This depends on the time you need for paying the invoice and signing the Standard Service Agreement. We need to have the original signed Standard Service Agreement returned, so it also depends on the postal system. We send all Standard Service Agreements for new members by DHL, except for Dutch applicants (registered mail).

It is possible to become a RIPE NCC member within two weeks.

After three months, the application will be suspended, but it can be re-opened at any time in the future.

Show or Hide answer What happens when the application process is complete?

Once we receive your payment and signed SSA, we will activate your LIR account. At this moment, you will receive an email and all the information you need to know as a new member. You will then be able to log in to the LIR Portal and start requesting Internet number resources.

Show or Hide answer What is the LIR Portal?

The LIR Portal is a secure web area for RIPE NCC members to manage everything related to their membership and the Internet number resources they hold.

New members can login the LIR Portal as soon as their LIR account has been activated. We activate your LIR account once we have received the signed Standard Service Agreement and the payment.

Show or Hide answer Can I become a member if my organisation is outside the RIPE NCC service region?

Yes, you can become a member of RIPE NCC. However, keep in mind that the Internet number resources need be announced within the RIPE NCC’s service region.

Show or Hide answer I have IP ranges already. Can I transfer them to my new LIR account?

This depends on the ranges that are in use. Please contact us at new-account _at_ ripe _dot_ net with information about the ranges so we can check if they are transferable.

Show or Hide answer Is it possible to receive more than a /22 allocation of IPv4 address space?

A new member will only receive a one time allocation of /22 IPV4. RIPE NCC began to allocate IPv4 address space from the last /8 of IPv4 address space it holds. More information is available on our IPv4 exhaustion pages.

If you would like to indicate on your website or any other publication that your organisation is a member of the RIPE NCC, please use the following graphic:

RIPE NCC member Logo

available in these formats: