[connect-bof] Data Retention Directive

Gordon Lennox gordon.lennox.13 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 11:56:11 CET 2013

When I was in Vancouver my attention was drawn to this report

<<Brussels, 18.4.2011   COM(2011) 225 final

REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE COUNCIL AND THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
Evaluation report on the Data Retention Directive (Directive 2006/24/EC)

5.5. Technological developments and the use of prepaid SIM cards

Law enforcement needs to keep pace with technological developments which are used to commit or abet crime. Data retention is among the criminal investigation tools necessary to equip law enforcement authorities to address contemporary crime challenges in their diversity, volume and speed in a manageable and cost-efficient manner. A number of increasingly common forms of communication are outside the scope of the Directive. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) in, for example, universities or large corporations, allow several users to access the internet via a single gateway using the same IP address. However, new technology permitting the attribution of addresses to individual VPN users is currently being introduced.

...>>

And no, they do not mention NATs. They do mention child pornography though.

Gordon