RIPE NCC Services Working Group

[ncc-services-wg] Extended delegated statistics

User Image

Alex Le Heux

Dear Colleagues,

Since 2003, the RIPE NCC and the other RIRs have published daily files
detailing all assigned and allocated IP resources. These are also known
as the "delegated files"

In 2011, a RIPE Labs article was published describing an extension to
these files. This article is available at:

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/new-ripe-ncc-address-statistics-reports

Starting from Wednesday 23 May 2012, the extended delegated files will
be published at the following URL:

ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc

The extended delegated files will list all resources managed by the RIPE
NCC, including those which make up part of the free pool. The resources
will be listed like this:

ripencc||ipv4|5.22.224.0|73728||available

We have overhauled the code that generates the regular delegated files.
One area which has been improved is the accuracy of the country code
attribute for all entries, especially for direct assignments such as PI
and AS Numbers. For all resources the country code was lifted from the
RIPE Database object describing the resource. This was done as a
one-time import and stored in our internal records. This has resulted in
a massive decrease in the occurrence of the catch-all country code "EU"
in both the regular and extended delegated files.

However, it is still possible that there are inaccuracies with regards
to the country code for some entries. Please contact lir-help _at_ ripe _dot_ net
in such cases.

Regards,

Alex Le Heux
Policy Implementation & Coordination

Hank Nussbacher

2012-05-23 10:45:07 CET

At 17:33 16/05/2012 +0200, Alex Le Heux wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>Since 2003, the RIPE NCC and the other RIRs have published daily files
>detailing all assigned and allocated IP resources. These are also known
>as the "delegated files"
>
>In 2011, a RIPE Labs article was published describing an extension to
>these files. This article is available at:
>
>https://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/new-ripe-ncc-address-statistics-reports
>
>Starting from Wednesday 23 May 2012, the extended delegated files will
>be published at the following URL:
>
>ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc

I am looking at
ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc/delegated-ripencc-20120523
and find it hasn't been updated.

-Hank

>The extended delegated files will list all resources managed by the RIPE
>NCC, including those which make up part of the free pool. The resources
>will be listed like this:
>
>ripencc||ipv4|5.22.224.0|73728||available
>
>We have overhauled the code that generates the regular delegated files.
>One area which has been improved is the accuracy of the country code
>attribute for all entries, especially for direct assignments such as PI
>and AS Numbers. For all resources the country code was lifted from the
>RIPE Database object describing the resource. This was done as a
>one-time import and stored in our internal records. This has resulted in
>a massive decrease in the occurrence of the catch-all country code "EU"
>in both the regular and extended delegated files.
>
>However, it is still possible that there are inaccuracies with regards
>to the country code for some entries. Please contact lir-help _at_ ripe _dot_ net
>in such cases.
>
>Regards,
>
>Alex Le Heux
>Policy Implementation & Coordination
>RIPE NCC

User Image

Alex Le Heux

> I am looking at
> ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc/delegated-ripencc-20120523
> and find it hasn't been updated.

Dear Hank,

The files are generated in the evening.

Apologies that I did not make this more clear in the announcement.

Best regards,

Alex Le Heux
Policy Implementation & Coordination
RIPE NCC

Tore Anderson

2012-05-24 07:24:26 CET

* Alex Le Heux

> Starting from Wednesday 23 May 2012, the extended delegated files will
> be published at the following URL:
>
> ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc

Hello,

There are some problems with the delegated-ripencc-20120423 and
delegated-ripencc-extended-20120423 currently available on the FTP:

Firstly, the headers in both files indicate that they are current as of
20120424, which obviously is an impossiblity since that's today and at
the time of writing, the NCC hasn't even opened yet.

Secondly, and more importantly, both files are missing recent
delegations. The most recent delegations listed in the files are dated
20120504. The NCC has certainly made plenty of delegations since
20120504, though.

For what it's worth, the 2012/delegated-ripencc-20120523.bz2 file does
not suffer from either of these problems.

Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

User Image

Hank Nussbacher

2012-05-24 07:47:17 CET

At 07:24 24/05/2012 +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
>* Alex Le Heux
>
> > Starting from Wednesday 23 May 2012, the extended delegated files will
> > be published at the following URL:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc
>
>Hello,
>
>There are some problems with the delegated-ripencc-20120423 and
>delegated-ripencc-extended-20120423 currently available on the FTP:

Another problem is that the previous file was sorted by IP and now it is
sorted by allocated/assigned field and then only by IP so one needs to know
whether the IP block is allocated or assigned and jumping back and forth
between the 2 sections.    Can the file be sorted once gain by IP?

Thanks,
Hank

>Firstly, the headers in both files indicate that they are current as of
>20120424, which obviously is an impossiblity since that's today and at
>the time of writing, the NCC hasn't even opened yet.
>
>Secondly, and more importantly, both files are missing recent
>delegations. The most recent delegations listed in the files are dated
>20120504. The NCC has certainly made plenty of delegations since
>20120504, though.
>
>For what it's worth, the 2012/delegated-ripencc-20120523.bz2 file does
>not suffer from either of these problems.
>
>Best regards,
>--
>Tore Anderson
>Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

User Image

Alex Le Heux

Dear Tore,

> There are some problems with the delegated-ripencc-20120423 and
> delegated-ripencc-extended-20120423 currently available on the FTP:

Thank you for reporting these issues.

We hope to have these fixed today.

Best regards,

Alex Le Heux
RIPE NCC IP Resource Analyst

Tore Anderson

2012-05-25 08:02:23 CET

* Alex Le Heux

> Thank you for reporting these issues.
>
> We hope to have these fixed today.

I can see that they are, thanks! I have a couple questions regarding
some changes from the "beta" delegated-extended files (that were
available from http://albatross.ripe.net/delegated-extended/):

1) A new status field "reserved" has appeared. Most (all?) of the IPv4
resources with this status was "available" in the beta files. A couple
of random examples:

>From beta file:
ripencc||ipv4|5.10.0.0|16384||available
ripencc||ipv4|194.145.208.0|512||available

>From new file:
ripencc||ipv4|5.10.0.0|16384||reserved
ripencc||ipv4|194.145.208.0|512||reserved

Am I correct in assuming that reserved resources are either deemed to
problematic for delegation by the debogon project, or recently returned
resources placed in a temporary quarantine? Are there any other reasons
why (IPv4) resources may end up as reserved?

Will all of these reserved resources be automatically freed up and
delegated by the NCC prior to implementing the last /8 policy, or will
they be considered unavailable for the purpose of determining whether or
not the last /8 policy's trigger criteria, «RIPE NCC is required to make
allocations from the final /8 it receives from the IANA», is met?

2) Available resources are no longer split into CIDR boundaries. Not a
big deal, but I must admit I preferred the old way from the beta file,
so I am wondering if this is an intentional change or if would be
possible to get the old way back. Random example:

>From beta file:
ripencc||ipv4|194.153.156.64|64||available
ripencc||ipv4|194.153.156.128|128||available

>From new file:
ripencc||ipv4|194.153.156.64|192||available

Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

User Image

Alex Le Heux

Dear Tore,

> 1) A new status field "reserved" has appeared. Most (all?) of the IPv4
> resources with this status was "available" in the beta files. A couple
> of random examples:

[...]
> Am I correct in assuming that reserved resources are either deemed to
> problematic for delegation by the debogon project, or recently returned
> resources placed in a temporary quarantine? Are there any other reasons
> why (IPv4) resources may end up as reserved?

IPv4 resources end up reserved because they are either in quarantine or because they are part of a special block not available for "normal" assignments or allocations, such as the space that is reserved for temporary assignments.

Space that is actively being debogonised is listed as 'allocated'.

> Will all of these reserved resources be automatically freed up and
> delegated by the NCC prior to implementing the last /8 policy, or will
> they be considered unavailable for the purpose of determining whether or
> not the last /8 policy's trigger criteria, «RIPE NCC is required to make
> allocations from the final /8 it receives from the IANA», is met?

All space that is not part of a block that is reserved for use after we reach the last /8, such as the temporary assignment pool and the last /8 itself, will be freed up and assigned and/or allocated before we reach the last /8.

> 2) Available resources are no longer split into CIDR boundaries. Not a
> big deal, but I must admit I preferred the old way from the beta file,
> so I am wondering if this is an intentional change or if would be
> possible to get the old way back. Random example:
>
>> From beta file:
> ripencc||ipv4|194.153.156.64|64||available
> ripencc||ipv4|194.153.156.128|128||available
>
>> From new file:
> ripencc||ipv4|194.153.156.64|192||available

The file format specifically does not define entries as CIDR ranges, but as startIP+size blocks. In the "old" statistics files, some entries were split on CIDR boundaries and others were not. With the new implementation, it was decided to list entries consistently as non-CIDR ranges.

Best regards,

Alex Le Heux
RIPE NCC