Database Working Group

DMARC issue

denis walker

2017-03-23 12:57:59 CET

Colleagues
The RIPE NCC has applied a mailman work around for DMARC to the DB-WG mailing list. This effectively wraps the sender inside the list address. The only real significance of this is that if you hit Reply the mail goes to the list and not the original sender. So if you want to send a private comment back to the original sender 'off list' you need to either hit Reply All and delete the addresses you don't want or Forward it.
cheersdenisco-chair DB-WG
User Image

Andreas Schulze

2017-03-23 13:44:58 CET

Am 23.03.2017 um 12:57 schrieb denis walker:
> Colleagues
>
> The RIPE NCC has applied a mailman work around for DMARC to the DB-WG mailing list. This effectively wraps the sender inside the list address. The only real significance of this is that if you hit Reply the mail goes to the list and not the original sender. So if you want to send a private comment back to the original sender 'off list' you need to either hit Reply All and delete the addresses you don't want or Forward it.
>
> cheers
> denis
> co-chair DB-WG

I'm aware of that mailman setting.
Rewriting the RFC5322.From make DMARC happy all the time. But there may be some users that are unhappy.

An other option to avoid DMARC failures is a mailman configuration that make simply no modification to the messages.
No Modification mean: no Subject Tag, no Footer
And a recent version of mailman is required to not change header fields.
Case conversion or surrounding quotes are often seen on messages passing older mailman versions...
As said, it require a newer version then mailman 2.1.15 serving the RIPE-lists.

But if RIPE would update mailman to 2.1.23 and set
  DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX  = ""
  DEFAULT_MSG_HEADER = ""
  DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER = ""

than subscribers *and* DMARC would be happy most of the time :-)

Andreas

--
A. Schulze
DATEV eG

denis walker

2017-03-23 15:08:07 CET

Thanks for that suggestion. I will ask the NCC if this update is possible.
cheersdenisco-chair DB-WG