Database Working Group

[db-wg] database support for ed25519 PGP keys

Marco d'Itri

2019-12-18 18:35:54 CET

Can RIPE staff clarify if there are plans to support PGP authentication
of database updates using ed25519 keys?
This should require not much more that upgrading gnupg to a modern release.

--
ciao,
Marco

Ed Shryane

Hello Marco,

> On 18 Dec 2019, at 18:35, Marco d'Itri via db-wg <db-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
>
> Can RIPE staff clarify if there are plans to support PGP authentication
> of database updates using ed25519 keys?
> This should require not much more that upgrading gnupg to a modern release.

We've supported the ed25519 algorithm since Whois 1.93, released in March this year. All that should be necessary is to create a key-cert object containing your public key.

We're currently using Bouncy Castle 1.60 internally, any algorithms supported by this library should work: https://www.bouncycastle.org/releasenotes.html

Regards
Ed Shryane
RIPE NCC