Skip to main content

Information on Independent Resources for End Users

To request independent resources, you will first need to find a sponsoring LIR who will maintain the necessary contractual relationship with the RIPE NCC and ensure the correct registration of any independent resources. More information on sponsoring LIRs can be found in “Contractual Requirements for Provider Independent Resource Holders.”

If you would like to request resources for your own infrastructure without going through a sponsoring LIR, you will need to become a member of the RIPE NCC.

The RIPE NCC stopped issuing IPv4 Provider Independent (PI) address
space in September 2012.

Changing sponsoring LIR

Provider independent resources are independent from any LIR. This means that you can change your sponsoring LIR at any time. To do this, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Find a new sponsoring LIR
  2. Download the Independent Assignment Request and Maintenance Agreement (also available in Russian)*
  3. Complete the agreement with your sponsoring LIR and scan it
  4. Make sure you terminate the agreement with your previous sponsoring LIR regarding these independent resources!
  5. Your new sponsoring LIR will submit a request on the LIR portal with the following information:
  • The signed agreement between you (the End User) and themselves as the sponsoring LIR
  • The End User's company registration documentation
  • A list of the independent resources covered by the agreement

*The sponsoring LIR can draft their own agreement as long as it meets the requirements.

Changing company name

In the event that your company name changes, you will need to inform your sponsoring LIR. The sponsoring LIR will then contact the RIPE NCC regarding the name change and send us legal documents confirming the name change.

The LIR can initiate the End User name change procedure by submitting a request with the required documents via the LIR portal.

This will allow us to update the independent resource objects in the RIPE Database and ensure that all records are up-to-date.

Returning unneeded resources

Independent resources that are no longer needed should be returned to the RIPE NCC. To do this, you can inform your sponsoring LIR.

Your sponsoring LIR will then contact the RIPE NCC regarding the changes and provide us with your written confirmation on the return of the specific resources.

Your LIR can initiate the return procedure by submitting a request with the required confirmation attached via the LIR portal.

This will enable the RIPE NCC to delete the independent resource objects from the RIPE Database and place the resources back into the free pool for reallocation.

Updating RIPE Database objects

If you want to add a maintainer, or change the admin-c or tech-c information for an independent resource object in the RIPE Database, you will need to ask the current maintainer of the object (mnt-by:) to make the updates for you.

If the current maintainer is not able to make the changes, your sponsoring LIR will need to contact the RIPE NCC on your behalf.

Participating in the RIPE Policy Development Process (PDP)

The RIPE community develops and sets policies through a long established, open, bottom-up process of discussion and consensus-based decision making. The RIPE Policy Development Process (PDP) is open to everyone to propose changes to current policies or propose new ones.

To participate, you should register on the respective working group mailing list.

To stay current with policy developments, you can subscribe to the Policy Development Process Announcements mailing list. This mailing list is for announcing policy proposals and tracking them through the RIPE Policy Development Process (PDP).

More information about LIRs and End Users