RIPE Atlas

[atlas] Notifications

User Image

Thomas Schäfer

2020-06-17 21:02:24 CET

Hello,

is there a possibility to get notified if the probe has lost IPv6 connectivity?

At the moment it seems to me, notification only works if the connection is down
with both protocols.

Regards,
Thomas

User Image

Carsten Schiefner

2020-06-18 08:26:22 CET

A finer granularity seems to make sense, so +1.

Von meinem Android-Gerät gesendet.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Thomas Schäfer" <tschaefer _at_ t-online _dot_ de>
To: ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net
Sent: Mi., 17 Juni 2020 21:03
Subject: [atlas] Notifications

Hello,

is there a possibility to get notified if the probe has lost IPv6 connectivity?

At the moment it seems to me, notification only works if the connection is down
with both protocols.

Regards,
Thomas

User Image

Chriztoffer Hansen

2020-06-18 09:39:10 CET

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 21:02, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> is there a possibility to get notified if the probe has lost IPv6
connectivity?

+1

> At the moment it seems to me, notification only works if the connection
is down
> with both protocols.

... Inginious! 😻 (wonder if this question has been asked before... 🤔)

Chriztoffer
User Image

Viktor Naoumov

Hi Thomas,

The connectivity notification is based on the probe connection to a
controller. Probes are connected to controllers using SSH via either v6
or v4 protocols.
Both protocols connectivity monitoring cannot be done this way. Instead
the measurements should be used: either UDMs or buil-ins, for example
pings to the root servers or controllers.

We have this kind of checks for probe tagging and if a probe is
tagged/untagged you get a message (https://atlas.ripe.net/messages/)
Probe tagging job is executed every 4 hours. The "IPv6 Works", "IPv4
Works" or "IPv4 Stable XXd", "IPv6 Stable XXd" tags can be used for
that. We do not have email notification for all events though.

wbr
/vty

On 6/17/20 9:02 PM, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a possibility to get notified if the probe has lost IPv6 connectivity?
>
> At the moment it seems to me, notification only works if the connection is down
> with both protocols.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

ripe@brite.cz

2020-06-18 15:20:50 CET

You can use an online checking service, such as http://wedos.online [basic is for free, one of the largest Czech server hosting] that continuously runs ping [or other services, such as http, ftp, dns...] and sends emails/SMS when failed.
See the pic attached.

Cheers
Jiri

> Od: "Thomas Schäfer" <tschaefer _at_ t-online _dot_ de>
> Komu: ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net
> Datum: 17.06.2020 21:03
> Předmět: [atlas] Notifications
>
>Hello,
>
>is there a possibility to get notified if the probe has lost IPv6 connectivity?
>
>At the moment it seems to me, notification only works if the connection is down
>with both protocols.
>
>Regards,
>Thomas

User Image

Thomas Schäfer

2020-06-18 15:30:06 CET

Am 18.06.20 um 15:20 schrieb ripe _at_ brite _dot_ cz:
> You can use an online checking service, such as http://wedos.online
> [basic is for free, one of the largest Czech server hosting] that
> continuously runs ping [or other services, such as http, ftp, dns...]
> and sends emails/SMS when failed.
> See the pic attached.

Thank you for the suggestion. But it is an firewalled IPv6-access.
(Vodafone/LTE)

Of course I could add some raspis just for monitoring a monitoring
tool..., but I was asking for an easier solution.

My next step will be a remote controlled power switch - so I can
hopefully restart router and probe without long down times.

Regards,
Thomas