RIPE Atlas

[atlas] Notification for probes going down for extended period??

Geert Jan de Groot

I have been hosting probes for many years and, judging by the traffic
seen, they have seen a fair amount of use, which is good.

Despite being on a "home network", I was able to get a small subnet so
the probes could run without NAT state nastyness and all.

Unfortunately, the ISP providing home connectivity is changing. They
used to be innovative, offering IPv6, subnet and lots of features.
However the mother telco decided that innovation was bad and is changing
the service offering, killing innovative services one by one.
Today I received notification that the subnet the probes live on, will
be de-activated on Jan 11.

I've cancelled my subscription with said ISP on Jan 13 and the house
will be on a different ISP then, unfortunately the new ISP is planning
to provide subnet service but is in the process of setting things up and
cannot provide subnet service today.

What is the protocol for signalling "this probe is down and that may be
for quite a bit"?

And what is the protocol for signalling "this probe is now on a
different topology, is no longer on AS3265 and network performance is
different"?

(I guess several others will have this question, answers on list please)

Geert Jan

User Image

Sylvain BAYA

2021-12-31 09:43:02 CET

Dear ripe-atlas community,
Hope this email finds you in good health...

Le jeudi 30 décembre 2021, Geert Jan de Groot <GeertJan.deGroot _at_ xs4all _dot_ nl>
a écrit :

> Hi,

Hi Geert,
Thanks for your email, brother!

> I have been hosting probes for many years and, judging by the traffic
> seen, they have seen a fair amount of use, which is good.
>
> Despite being on a "home network", I was able to get a small subnet so the
> probes could run without NAT state nastyness and all.
>
> Unfortunately, the ISP providing home connectivity is changing. They used
> to be innovative, offering IPv6, subnet and lots of features. However the
> mother telco decided that innovation was bad and is changing the service
> offering, killing innovative services one by one.
> Today I received notification that the subnet the probes live on, will be
> de-activated on Jan 11.

Really sad story, brother :'-(
...hope they will revert back after.

> I've cancelled my subscription with said ISP on Jan 13 and the house will
> be on a different ISP

Good decision! yes, end-users desserve good
quality of service...even though, they are free to
operate their network as they see fit :'-(

>  then, unfortunately the new ISP is planning to provide subnet service but
> is in the process of setting things up and cannot provide subnet service
> today.

...better later, than never.

> What is the protocol for signalling "this probe is down and that may be
> for quite a bit"?

...not sure, there is anyone, or if the system needs
to have such a protocol :-/ but you can just add a
tag to your RIPE Atlas probe: #isDown

> And what is the protocol for signalling "this probe is now on a different
> topology, is no longer on AS3265 and network performance is different"?

...this too, seems to be automatic task, as the
system used to automatically detect the ASN of the
 AS into which the probe is attached. But, please,
don't take my comment for grant...i'm, too, awaiting
for a proper responses from the RIPE Atlas team ;-)

> (I guess several others will have this question, answers on list please)

...sure, more than one, brother :-)

Hope this helps!

Good wishes, in JESUS, this last day of 2021!

Shalom,
--sb.

--

Best Regards !
__

Johan ter Beest

Hi Geert Jan,

On 30/12/2021 22:41, Geert Jan de Groot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been hosting probes for many years and, judging by the traffic
> seen, they have seen a fair amount of use, which is good.
>
> Despite being on a "home network", I was able to get a small subnet so
> the probes could run without NAT state nastyness and all.
>
> Unfortunately, the ISP providing home connectivity is changing. They
> used to be innovative, offering IPv6, subnet and lots of features.
> However the mother telco decided that innovation was bad and is
> changing the service offering, killing innovative services one by one.
> Today I received notification that the subnet the probes live on, will
> be de-activated on Jan 11.
>
> I've cancelled my subscription with said ISP on Jan 13 and the house
> will be on a different ISP then, unfortunately the new ISP is planning
> to provide subnet service but is in the process of setting things up
> and cannot provide subnet service today.
>
> What is the protocol for signalling "this probe is down and that may
> be for quite a bit"?
As said before, there is none. Just plug it back in whenever you can.

> And what is the protocol for signalling "this probe is now on a
> different topology, is no longer on AS3265 and network performance is
> different"?

This will be handled automatically indeed, no actions of any kind are
needed.

The probe archive can give information on previous network connections
if needed.

Kind regards,

Johan ter Beest
RIPE Atlas Team