IoT Working Group

[iot-wg] Results of the survey made during the second today's presentation

User Image

Sandoche BALAKRICHENAN

2020-10-29 14:58:10 CET

Dear all,

Please find as attached the results of the survey conducted today during
the presentation of  "*Architectural Considerations for IoT Device
Security in the Home. A guide for ISPs specifying CPE devices*" at RIPE
81 IoT WG slot today.

User Image

Sandoche BALAKRICHENAN

2020-10-29 15:06:39 CET

Response to the last question which has been just sent by RIPE.

On 29/10/2020 14:58, sandoche Balakrichenan wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Please find as attached the results of the survey conducted today
> during the presentation of  "*Architectural Considerations for IoT
> Device Security in the Home. A guide for ISPs specifying CPE devices*"
> at RIPE 81 IoT WG slot today.

Michael Richardson

2020-10-29 22:59:48 CET

Are you able to tell us how many people responded to each the poll?

Summarizing the pictures:

1.Do you provide the CPE:                        YES: 27%  NO: 72%
2.Do you allow customer to bring their own CPE:  YES: 75%  NO: 12%, IDK: 12%
3.Do you Provide IOT SECURITY, or you Intend to: YES: 100%, No: 0%
4.Do you certify the CPE before allowing a customer:  YES: 13% NO: 68% IDK: 18%

It seems sane that if 72% do not provide the CPE, then at least 72% must
allow the customer to bring their own CPE :-)

The response on 3. is astonishing, but then it's a probably a self-selected
group who care.

]     mcr _at_ sandelman _dot_ ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF _at_ sandelman _dot_ ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )

Jelte Jansen

2020-10-29 23:52:10 CET

On 10/29/20 10:59 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

 > 3.Do you Provide IOT SECURITY, or you Intend to: YES: 100%, No: 0%
 >
 > The response on 3. is astonishing, but then it's a probably a
self-selected
 > group who care.

That poll ran twice, the second result was

3.Do you Provide IOT SECURITY, or you Intend to (re-run):

YES: 33%, No: 27%, IDK: 38%

Jelte

Michael Richardson

2020-10-30 01:32:06 CET

For completeness then:

1.Do you provide the CPE:                        YES: 27%  NO: 72%
2.Do you allow customer to bring their own CPE:  YES: 75%  NO: 12%, IDK: 12%
3.Do you Provide IOT SECURITY, or you Intend to: YES: 33%, No: 27%, IDK: 38%
4.Do you certify the CPE before allowing a customer:  YES: 13% NO: 68% IDK: 18%

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF _at_ sandelman _dot_ ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )

Sandoche BALAKRICHENAN

2020-10-30 08:57:48 CET

On 29/10/2020 22:59, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Are you able to tell us how many people responded to each the poll?

==> Got this info from RIPE about how many people responded to each poll

==

Do you provide the CPE for your customers?": 11 "Do you allow customers
to bring their own CPE?": 16 "Do you provide IoT security or you intend
to?": 5 "Do you provide IoT security or you intend to? (Re-run)": 18 "Do
you certify CPE before allowing a customer bring the device onto your
network?": 22

==