Address Policy Working Group

[address-policy-wg] 2019-06 Review Phase Extended (Multiple Editorial Changes in IPv6 Policy)

User Image

Marco Schmidt

Dear colleagues,

Policy proposal 2019-06, "Multiple Editorial Changes in IPv6 Policy" is
now in the extended Review Phase.

This proposal aims to remove obsoleted text and simplify the IPv6 policy.

You can find the full proposal and the RIPE NCC impact analysis at:
https://www.ripe.net/participate/policies/proposals/2019-06

And the draft documents at:
https://www.ripe.net/participate/policies/proposals/2019-06/draft

As per the RIPE Policy Development Process (PDP), the purpose of this
four week extended Review Phase is to continue discussing the proposal,
taking the impact analysis into consideration, and to review the full
draft RIPE Policy Document.

At the end of the Review Phase, the Working Group (WG) Chairs will
determine whether the WG has reached rough consensus. It is therefore
important to provide your opinion, even if it is simply a restatement of
your input from the previous phase.

We encourage you to read the proposal, impact analysis and draft
document and send any comments to <address-policy-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> before 6
February 2020.

Kind regards,

Marco Schmidt
Registration Services and Policy Development Assistant Manager

Gert Doering

2020-01-08 13:34:48 CET

Dear WG,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 12:20:53PM +0100, Marco Schmidt wrote:
> Policy proposal 2019-06, "Multiple Editorial Changes in IPv6 Policy" is
> now in the extended Review Phase.

This proposal got support in discussion phase, but no comments whatsoever
in review phase.  Based on this, we cannot advance it, even if chairs
and proposer think it is reasonable and had support beforehand...

So, please have a look and express your opinion - continued support, or
disagreement.

thanks,

Gert Doering
        -- APWG chair

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279
User Image

Denis Fondras

2020-01-08 13:45:46 CET

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 01:34:48PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> Dear WG,
>
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 12:20:53PM +0100, Marco Schmidt wrote:
> > Policy proposal 2019-06, "Multiple Editorial Changes in IPv6 Policy" is
> > now in the extended Review Phase.
>
> This proposal got support in discussion phase, but no comments whatsoever
> in review phase.  Based on this, we cannot advance it, even if chairs
> and proposer think it is reasonable and had support beforehand...

I fully support this proposal.

--
Denis Fondras / Liopen
Mob: +33.761.029.186

Nick Hilliard

2020-01-08 17:12:34 CET

Gert Doering wrote on 08/01/2020 12:34:
> This proposal got support in discussion phase, but no comments whatsoever
> in review phase.  Based on this, we cannot advance it, even if chairs
> and proposer think it is reasonable and had support beforehand...

Looks fine - I support this.

Nick

User Image

Piotr Strzyżewski

2020-01-08 20:52:38 CET

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 01:34:48PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 12:20:53PM +0100, Marco Schmidt wrote:
> > Policy proposal 2019-06, "Multiple Editorial Changes in IPv6 Policy" is
> > now in the extended Review Phase.
>
> This proposal got support in discussion phase, but no comments whatsoever
> in review phase.  Based on this, we cannot advance it, even if chairs
> and proposer think it is reasonable and had support beforehand...
>
> So, please have a look and express your opinion - continued support, or
> disagreement.

Support.

--
Piotr Strzyżewski

User Image

Randy Bush

2020-01-09 02:23:24 CET

sorry.  as it has not changed, my opinion has not ( yes, sometimes it
does :).  so i still support it.

randy

User Image

Mikael Abrahamsson

2020-01-09 10:42:26 CET

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020, Gert Doering wrote:

> So, please have a look and express your opinion - continued support, or
> disagreement.

I support this.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike _at_ swm.pp _dot_ se

User Image

Tore Anderson

2020-01-11 11:43:06 CET

* Gert Doering

> So, please have a look and express your opinion - continued support, or
> disagreement.

Support.

Tore

Radu-Adrian FEURDEAN

2020-01-13 17:11:34 CET

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020, at 13:34, Gert Doering wrote:
> So, please have a look and express your opinion - continued support, or
> disagreement.

Support.

--
Radu-Adrian FEURDEAN

User Image

Abdullah Cemil Akcam

2020-01-13 18:08:04 CET

Dear
I liked the simplified version of this document. Just a small feedback: section titled "Definitions" can be shortened further by eliminating well known jargon.
Best
________________________________
[...]

RIPE NCC

[BTK]   Abdullah Cemil AKÇAM
Biliºim Uzman¹
Bilgi Teknolojileri Dairesi Baºkanl¹»¹

Tel: +90 312 586 52 82
Adres: Eskiºehir Yolu 10.Km No: 276 Posta Kodu: 06530 Çankaya/Ankara

www.btk.gov.tr
_ _ _ __ _ _ _

________________________________
YASAL UYARI:
Bu e-postada yer alan bilgiler, beraberinde iletilen tüm bilgi, onay ve her türlü formattaki dosyalar, gizlidir ve kiºiye özel olabilir ve sadece gönderildi»i kiºi ya da kuruma ya da bu bilgileri kullanmaya ya da almaya yetkili di»er kiºilere özeldir. E»er siz do»ru kiºi de»ilseniz, bu e-postay¹ aç¹klamak, kopyalamak, da»¹tmak ya da içeri»ine istinaden iºlem yapmak tümüyle yasakt¹r ve kanuna ayk¹r¹ olabilir. Bu nedenle bu e-postay¹ yanl¹ºl¹kla ald¹ysan¹z, bu durumu derhal gönderene haber veriniz ve e-postay¹ siliniz. Bu e-postan¹n taraf¹n¹za yanl¹ºl¹kla iletilmiº olmas¹ yüzünden e-postan¹n gizli ve kiºiye özel niteli»i kaybolmaz ya da bu niteli»inden vazgeçilmez. BTK, bu e-postada yer alan bilgilerin ya da e-postan¹n kendisinin usulüne göre ve/veya tam iletiminden ya da e-postan¹n al¹nmas¹nda yaºanan herhangi bir gecikmeden sorumlu de»ildir. BTK bu e-postan¹n içeri»i ile ilgili olarak hiç bir hukuksal sorumlulu»u kabul etmez. BTK, virüs filtreleme uygulamakla birlikte, e-postan¹n virüs içermedi»ini garanti ya da temin etmez.

DISCLAIMER:
The information, consent and file attached thereto, contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to use it or receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If therefore you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. Confidentiality and legal privileges are not waived or lost even if you have been accidentally transmitted by this e-mail. ICTA is not responsible for the proper and/or complete transmission of the information contained in this e-mail or of the e-mail itself nor in any delay in its receipt. ICTA does not accept any form of legal responsibility for the content of this e-mail. Whilst ICTA does apply virus filtering, it provides no guarantee or warranty that the e-mail is virus-free.

User Image

Petrit Hasani

Hello Jordi,

The sentence below makes it easier to do changes to the definitions sections in this document in case there are changes in other RIRs. (Example: If the NIR system is removed in APNIC, we would update the hierarchical structure):

“[Note: some of these definitions will be replaced by definitions from other RIR documents in order to be more consistent.]”

Considering that removing the sentence creates an impact, it would have to be mentioned in the impact analysis which would mean that we need to start the review phase again.

Petrit Hasani
Policy Officer
RIPE NCC

> On 13 Jan 2020, at 22:18, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via address-policy-wg <address-policy-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
>
> Hi Abdullah,
>
> I don’t think that will be good. In fact, in many cases, we have a hard time to understand the text of the rest of the policy text if we don’t rely in a very good set of definitions.
>
> However, I just noticed something that could be removed:
>
> “[Note: some of these definitions will be replaced by definitions from other RIR documents in order to be more consistent.]”
>

> But at this stage of the proposal, I’m not sure how feasible is it, without restarting everything … (and in that case, if we need to restart everything, it’s probably better to keep it for any future proposal that needs to change anything else).
>
> Or it can be considered an editorial change? What the chairs believe, and also Marco/Petrit?
>
> Regards,
> Jordi
>
> @jordipalet
>

> El 13/1/20 18:08, "address-policy-wg en nombre de Abdullah Cemil AKÇAM" <address-policy-wg-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net en nombre de abdullahcemil.akcam _at_ btk.gov _dot_ tr> escribió:
>
> Dear
> I liked the simplified version of this document. Just a small feedback: section titled "Definitions" can be shortened further by eliminating well known jargon.
> Best

User Image

Jordi Palet Martinez

2020-01-14 12:54:33 CET

Hi Petrit,

My reading of the sentence is a bit different. Of course, I may be wrong ...

It comes from the original IPv6 policy that was developed jointly by folks from APNIC, ARIN and RIPE NCC.

It was there just so each RIR make their own changes (in other RIRs, this was removed) and we forgot about it ... just copy and paste.

If anything, change in any RIR that affects this definitions section, we will need to use the PDP to amend it in our own policy. So, this sentence doesn't fix that at all, and consequently I don't think the analysis impact should be different.

However, as said, I'm fine keeping it, just wondering if we all agree without the need to restart the process (which I believe, unless chairs think otherwise, is not good at this stage).

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 14/1/20 12:25, "address-policy-wg en nombre de Petrit Hasani" <address-policy-wg-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net en nombre de phasani _at_ ripe _dot_ net> escribió:

    Hello Jordi,

    The sentence below makes it easier to do changes to the definitions sections in this document in case there are changes in other RIRs. (Example: If the NIR system is removed in APNIC, we would update the hierarchical structure):

    “[Note: some of these definitions will be replaced by definitions from other RIR documents in order to be more consistent.]”

    Considering that removing the sentence creates an impact, it would have to be mentioned in the impact analysis which would mean that we need to start the review phase again.

    Petrit Hasani
    Policy Officer
    RIPE NCC

    > On 13 Jan 2020, at 22:18, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via address-policy-wg <address-policy-wg _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
    >
    > Hi Abdullah,
    >
    > I don’t think that will be good. In fact, in many cases, we have a hard time to understand the text of the rest of the policy text if we don’t rely in a very good set of definitions.
    >
    > However, I just noticed something that could be removed:
    >
    > “[Note: some of these definitions will be replaced by definitions from other RIR documents in order to be more consistent.]”
    >

    > But at this stage of the proposal, I’m not sure how feasible is it, without restarting everything … (and in that case, if we need to restart everything, it’s probably better to keep it for any future proposal that needs to change anything else).
    >
    > Or it can be considered an editorial change? What the chairs believe, and also Marco/Petrit?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jordi
    >
    > @jordipalet
    >

    > El 13/1/20 18:08, "address-policy-wg en nombre de Abdullah Cemil AKÇAM" <address-policy-wg-bounces _at_ ripe _dot_ net en nombre de abdullahcemil.akcam _at_ btk.gov _dot_ tr> escribió:
    >
    > Dear
    > I liked the simplified version of this document. Just a small feedback: section titled "Definitions" can be shortened further by eliminating well known jargon.
    > Best

Cynthia Revström

2020-01-21 14:59:05 CET

I fully support this proposal.