You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum
RIPE Forum v1.4.2

RIPE Atlas

Threaded
Collapse

[atlas] Future of Software Anchors

User Image

Simon Brandt

2022-05-14 11:14:26 CET

Hi everyone,

accoring to this site, a CentOS 7 installation is required for running a Software Anchor:
https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/anchor-installation-vm/
But CentOS 7 will be End-of-Lifetime in two years (30. Juni 2024).
https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product

So it does not really make sense, to set up a new Anchor with CentOS 7, i guess. What are the plans, dear RIPE Labs?
I searched the atlas mailinglist topics for "software anchor" and "centos 7" but didn't find anything.

Greetings,
Simon
User Image

Anand Buddhdev

2022-05-14 11:34:50 CET

RIPE NCC staff member

On 14/05/2022 11:14, ripe.net--- via ripe-atlas wrote:

Hi Simon,

> So it does not really make sense, to set up a new Anchor with CentOS 7, 
> i guess. What are the plans, dear RIPE Labs?
> I searched the atlas mailinglist topics for "software anchor" and 
> "centos 7" but didn't find anything.

For now, we are still deploying Atlas anchors with CentOS 7. However, in 
the latter half of this year, we plan to work on adapting our 
configuration systems to a newer Linux distribution. After that, we will 
upgrade all the Atlas anchors (hardware and virtual) to the newer 
distribution.

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC

User Image

Albert Barnes

2022-05-15 07:46:28 CET

I currently have a probe on a box running Centos Stream release 8

==============================================================

On 14/05/2022 9:14 pm, ripe.net--- via ripe-atlas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> accoring to this site, a CentOS 7 installation is required for running 
> a Software Anchor:
> https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/anchor-installation-vm/
> But CentOS 7 will be End-of-Lifetime in two years (30. Juni 2024).
> https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product
>
> So it does not really make sense, to set up a new Anchor with CentOS 
> 7, i guess. What are the plans, dear RIPE Labs?
> I searched the atlas mailinglist topics for "software anchor" and 
> "centos 7" but didn't find anything.
>
> Greetings,
> Simon
>


Lukas Magauer

2022-05-28 16:27:04 CET

Hi everybody!

 

I have been running a Software probe on CentOS 8 since mid 2020. (and since switched it to Rocky Linux 8)

It’s unsupported, but also didn’t really make any problems, just worked fine with the yum repo distributed package!

 

Great that there are already plans to support newer versions as well!

 

And has there something changed in the distribution of the package?

Because the latest changes of version 5070 don’t look like they appeared in the GitHub repo?

 

Best regards,

Lukas

 

 
On 14/05/2022 11:14, ripe.net--- via ripe-atlas wrote:
 
Hi Simon,
 
> So it does not really make sense, to set up a new Anchor with CentOS 7, 
> i guess. What are the plans, dear RIPE Labs?
> I searched the atlas mailinglist topics for "software anchor" and 
> "centos 7" but didn't find anything.
 
For now, we are still deploying Atlas anchors with CentOS 7. However, in 
the latter half of this year, we plan to work on adapting our 
configuration systems to a newer Linux distribution. After that, we will 
upgrade all the Atlas anchors (hardware and virtual) to the newer 
distribution.
 
Regards,
Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC

 

 

Hi everyone,
 
accoring to this site, a CentOS 7 installation is required for running a Software Anchor:
https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/anchor-installation-vm/
But CentOS 7 will be End-of-Lifetime in two years (30. Juni 2024).
https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product
 
So it does not really make sense, to set up a new Anchor with CentOS 7, i guess. What are the plans, dear RIPE Labs?
I searched the atlas mailinglist topics for "software anchor" and "centos 7" but didn't find anything.
 
Greetings,
Simon

 

User Image

Jared Mauch

2022-05-28 17:23:03 CET

> On May 28, 2022, at 10:27 AM, Lukas Magauer via ripe-atlas <ripe-atlas _at_ ripe _dot_ net> wrote:
> 
> Hi everybody!
>  
> I have been running a Software probe on CentOS 8 since mid 2020. (and since switched it to Rocky Linux 8)
> It’s unsupported, but also didn’t really make any problems, just worked fine with the yum repo distributed package!
>  
> Great that there are already plans to support newer versions as well!
>  
> And has there something changed in the distribution of the package?
> Because the latest changes of version 5070 don’t look like they appeared in the GitHub repo?
>  
> Best regards,
> Lukas

I just made a new anchor the other day, and CentOS 7 is still the requirement, I also rebuilt one of the original VM anchors as well - it had a different partition scheme and I wasn’t asked to fix it, but apparently it was causing an issue on the back-end.

I’m expecting they will do an OS upgrade, but also CentOS doesn’t really like providing upgrade paths, so I suspect the job will be to just re-image the VM with a newer CentOS ISO and kickstart file at some point, or they will find a repeatable series of dnf commands that will step the VM from 7 -> SomethingNewer

- Jared