You are here: Home > Participate > Join a Discussion > RIPE Forum
RIPE Forum v1.4.1

RIPE Atlas

Threaded
Collapse

[atlas] List of (scientific) publications using RIPE Atlas

User Image

Moritz Müller

2020-11-25 08:22:39 CET

Hi everyone,

A follow up to last week’s Atlas Open House:
One of the speakers mentioned that the Wikipedia page of RIPE Atlas [1] lists a number of publications that made use of RIPE Atlas.
This list is incomplete and I was wondering if there’s a page somewhere, maybe provided by RIPE NCC, where researchers can submit and list work that used Atlas in some way.
This could give beginning researchers and students some inspiration.

Maybe this page could also provide links to the measurements themselves for transparency.

-
Moritz

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIPE_Atlas
User Image

Nagios negative test for authenticated data

2020-11-25 08:55:46 CET

RIPE NCC staff member

Hi Moritz,

Op 2020-11-25 om 08:22 schreef Moritz Muller:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A follow up to last week’s Atlas Open House:
> One of the speakers mentioned that the Wikipedia page of RIPE Atlas [1] lists a number of publications that made use of RIPE Atlas.
> This list is incomplete and I was wondering if there’s a page somewhere, maybe provided by RIPE NCC, where researchers can submit and list work that used Atlas in some way.
> This could give beginning researchers and students some inspiration.
You can edit the wikipedia page and add your research yourself. This is 
a pragmatic solution, so we don't have to run a full fledged system like 
some other large data collection platforms do [1], to capture scientific 
output.

If there is enough support for us running such things, this could be put 
on our road map of course.
> Maybe this page could also provide links to the measurements themselves for transparency.
There are multiple ways to do this. For instance: One could also add a 
specific tag to measurements used in a particular study and then refer 
to that in the publication.

How to capture scientific output from our data collection platforms 
(both Atlas and RIS) and specifically their relevance to network 
operations has my specific attention, if people have good ideas around 
this let me know [2]

I hope this clarifies a bit,
Emile

[1] https://www.caida.org/data/publications/
[2] We are doing a deployathon today, you can still register ( 
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/becha/lets-deploy-together-ripe-atlas-software-probes-deployathon 
), and I'd love to have a chat around this and other topics in the 
spatial.chat that we'll be using :)


>
> -
> Moritz
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIPE_Atlas


User Image

Moritz Müller

2020-11-26 11:31:18 CET

> You can edit the wikipedia page and add your research yourself. This is a pragmatic solution, so we don't have to run a full fledged system like some other large data collection platforms do [1], to capture scientific output.
True, but then the list might get pretty cluttered.

> If there is enough support for us running such things, this could be put on our road map of course.
At first, I was in favour of such a site.
But I guess the problem is that students, not familiar with RIPE Atlas, might also not find such a website either.
It would be interesting if [1] is often visited.

>> Maybe this page could also provide links to the measurements themselves for transparency.
> There are multiple ways to do this. For instance: One could also add a specific tag to measurements used in a particular study and then refer to that in the publication.
In the past, we’ve usually used the measurement IDs as a reference, but a tag might be the more elegant solution.

> How to capture scientific output from our data collection platforms (both Atlas and RIS) and specifically their relevance to network operations has my specific attention, if people have good ideas around this let me know [2]
Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the deployathon. Was there any discussion regarding this topic.
> 
> [1] https://www.caida.org/data/publications/
> [2] We are doing a deployathon today, you can still register ( https://labs.ripe.net/Members/becha/lets-deploy-together-ripe-atlas-software-probes-deployathon ), and I'd love to have a chat around this and other topics in the spatial.chat that we'll be using :)

User Image

Vesna Manojlovic

2020-11-26 12:05:06 CET

RIPE NCC staff member

Dear Moritz, all,

On 26/11/2020 11:31, Moritz Muller wrote:
> 
>> You can edit the wikipedia page and add your research yourself. This is a pragmatic solution, so we don't have to run a full fledged system like some other large data collection platforms do [1], to capture scientific output.
> True, but then the list might get pretty cluttered.
> 
>> If there is enough support for us running such things, this could be put on our road map of course.
> At first, I was in favour of such a site.
> But I guess the problem is that students, not familiar with RIPE Atlas, might also not find such a website either.

this was, indeed, the reasoning behind my decision to both create a
wikipedia page for Atlas AND keep the list of research paper there.

Wikipedia is
* better known
* editable by "everyone"

I prefer if the labour of collecting information is distributed, not
centralised.

(we used to collect the papers on RIPE Labs... but that didn't scale either)

So let me repeat the link, just in case:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIPE_Atlas#Research_papers

And my feature request is: someone to write a scraper / API / listener,
so that every time a new edit is made to this Wikipedia collection,
there's an email sent to the atlas-users list!

Vesna