This mailing list interface will be retired once we upgrade our mailing list system. Click here to use the new RIPE NCC Forum.

RIPE Atlas

[atlas] Shiny new v5 probe reveals problem with virtual probe

User Image

Niall O'Reilly

2022-11-30 17:54:02 CET

Hello, everyone.

TL; DR: clue needed configuring Turris Omnia for virtual Atlas probe.

I'm delighted to have a shiny new v5 probe, which is operation
since the day before yesterday.

The new probe has been automatically tagged "IPv6 Works".
On account of this, I've noticed that my virtual probe,
running on my Turris Omnia, has the complementary tag,
"IPv6 Doesn't Work."

I suspect that I've not configured firewalling on my Turris
properly.

If any of you have sorted this, I would appreciate some clue.

Thanks in anticipation.
Niall

User Image

Michel Stam

Hi Niall,

FYI he v5 is basically a modified Turris Mox. You’re getting a nice Turris collection there :)

IPv6 works is a tag that is added based on the result of a few measurements, see here:
https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/getting-started/probe-tags.html#basic-connectivity

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Michel

> On 30 Nov 2022, at 17:54, Niall O'Reilly <niall.oreilly _at_ ucd _dot_ ie> wrote:
>
> Hello, everyone.
>
> TL; DR: clue needed configuring Turris Omnia for virtual Atlas probe.
>
> I'm delighted to have a shiny new v5 probe, which is operation
> since the day before yesterday.
>
> The new probe has been automatically tagged "IPv6 Works".
> On account of this, I've noticed that my virtual probe,
> running on my Turris Omnia, has the complementary tag,
> "IPv6 Doesn't Work."
>
> I suspect that I've not configured firewalling on my Turris
> properly.
>
> If any of you have sorted this, I would appreciate some clue.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
> Niall

Niall O'Reilly

2022-12-01 19:01:52 CET

On 1 Dec 2022, at 9:50, Michel Stam wrote:

> FYI he v5 is basically a modified Turris Mox. You’re getting a nice
> Turris collection there :)

Truly! World domination from Prague. 8-)

> IPv6 works is a tag that is added based on the result of a few
> measurements, see here:
> https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/getting-started/probe-tags.html#basic-connectivity
>
> Hope this helps

Yes, thanks; it seems that each unit performs an IPv6 ping test.
I'm puzzled as to why only one is successful, as their physical
connections are adjacent.

Time for some head-scratching ...

/Niall