Address Policy Working Group

[address-policy-wg] A list of actions during quarantine

User Image

Artyom Gavrichenkov

2019-11-26 16:47:47 CET

Peace,

There's a page[1] on the NCC web site which says:

"When we recover IPv4 addresses, we hold on to them for a quarantine
period.  During this time, we take a number of actions that help to
make it clear the addresses are no longer associated with their
previous holder and should be considered as “new” address space."

Is the particular list of actions applied to an IPv4 prefix outlined
somewhere?  Is it only prevention of routing, or e.g. trash cans like
Spamhaus are contacted too?

[1] https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/ipv4/how-waiting-list-works

--
Töma

Nikolas Pediaditis

Dear Töma,

Thank you for your question and my apologies for the delayed reply.

We de-register resources in accordance with "Closure of Members, Deregistration of Internet Resources and Legacy Internet Resources”:
https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-716#b

The steps we take with regards to de-registration and quarantine are also described in:
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/resource-management/quarantine-for-returned-internet-number-resources

The resources are held in quarantine long enough to allow interested parties to notice the de-registration and remove potential blacklisting records. Furthermore, we only re-use address space that is not routed.

We'd like to note that in April 2018, we finished allocating IPv4 blocks from the previously-unused 185.0.0.0/8.
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/wilhelm/so-long-last-8-and-thanks-for-all-the-allocations

Since then, we issued more than 9,000 /22 IPv4 allocations - all of them were from address blocks that were already issued in the past and then de-registered and re-used. Sometimes we receive questions about incorrect geo-location for such address blocks (which are still pointing to the previous resource holders). In a few recent cases, we have seen reports about newly issued blocks being blacklisted.

When requested, we contact relevant blacklisting providers to clarify the situation about resources being re-used and ask them to remove existing listings related to previous resource holders.

We are currently reviewing our procedures to see if we could pro-actively provide blacklisting providers with information on address blocks returned to our free pools. This could help to reduce the possibility of re-issued blocks being blacklisted.

Please also note that RIPE Policy Proposal 2019-08 is currently open and (if accepted) will require the creation of ROAs for all unallocated and unassigned address space under our control.:
https://www.ripe.net/participate/policies/proposals/2019-08

Nikolas Pediaditis
Registration Services and Policy Development Manager
RIPE NCC