RIPE Terms of Reference
Recognising that IP networks are growing beyond the LANs in Europe and are extending over national and international WANs in Europe, the RIPE coordinating body has been created.
RIPE stands for: "Reseaux IP Europeens".
The objective of RIPE is to ensure the necessary administrative and technical coordination to allow the operation and expansion of a pan-European IP network.
- RIPE acts as a forum for the exchange of technical information and the creation of expertise on IP networking.
- The area of relevance for RIPE is Europe.
- All parties operating wide area IP networks are encouraged to participate.
- RIPE promotes and coordinates interconnection of IP networks within Europe and to other continents.
- RIPE establishes agreement on common network management practices and the operational management of the interconnected networks.
- RIPE serves as a focal point for other common activities of the participants related to IP networking.
- All documents produced by RIPE will be publicly available.
- RIPE is not a network service provider. IP networks collaborating in RIPE remain under the executive authority of their respective organisations.
29 November 1989