Number Resource Organization
- Protect the unallocated Number Resource pool,
- Promote and protect the bottom up policy development process, and
- Act as a focal point for Internet community input into the RIR system.
- NRO Response to ICANN Consultation on the Transition of NTIA’s Stewardship of the IANA Functions
Response from the Number Resource Organization (NRO) to ICANN’s Call for Public input on “Draft Proposal, Based on Initial Community Feedback, of the Principles and Mechanisms and the Process to Develop a Proposal to Transition NTIA’s Stewardship of the IANA Functions”
- Internet Technical Leaders Welcome IANA Globalization Progress
The leaders of the Internet technical organizations responsible for coordination of the Internet infrastructure (IETF, IAB, RIRs, ccTLD ROs, ICANN, ISOC, and W3C), welcome the US Government’s announcement of the suggested changes related to the IANA functions contract.
- NRO Contributes to NETmundial
The Number Resource Organization (NRO) on behalf of the five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs), AFRINIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, and the RIPE NCC submitted a contribution to the to the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance, NETmundial.
- Statement from the I* Leaders Coordination Meeting
Statement from the I* Leaders Coordination Meeting, Santa Monica, 14 February 2014
- 2-byte Autonomous System (AS) Number Pool Nearing Depletion
In September 2013, the IANA issued its last remaining full block (1024) of 2-byte AS numbers, with 512 going to APNIC and 512 going to Ripe NCC. Of the 65,536 total AS numbers in the 2-byte pool, there now remain just 496.
- Hartmut Glaser Reappointed to NRO Number Council
The LACNIC Board reappointed Hartmut Glaser as member of the NRO Number Council. His new term will expire on Dec. 31st, 2014.
- AFRINIC Confirms 2 Positions in the NRO NC / ASO AC
AFRINIC Confirms 2 Positions in the NRO NC / ASO AC
- APNIC EC Appoints Aftab Siddiqui to NRO NC / ASO AC
Aftab Siddiqui has been appointed by the APNIC Executive Council (EC) to serve a one-year term on the Number Resource Organization Number Council, which fulfils the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council, from January to December 2014.
- Celebrating Ten Years of the NRO
The Number Resource Organization (NRO) is celebrating its first decade as the coordinating body for the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs).
- IGF 2013 in Bali a Success
The NRO participated in the 2013 IGF recently, hosting a booth to provide educational materials on Internet resources management and the open and transparent community policy development process facilitated by each RIR.
The NRO exists to:
History of the NRO
On 24 October 2003, the four existing RIRs – APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC and the RIPE NCC – entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ICANN to form the NRO. Once AfriNIC was incorporated in April 2005 it signed the MoU and joined the NRO.
The NRO Number Council (NC)
Under the terms of the MoU signed between the ICANN and the RIRs in October 2004, the NRO Number Council (NRO NC) now performs the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC). The NRO NC is made up of three community representatives from each RIR region.