Re: [mat-wg] FW: IP Address utilization of The LIRs

  • To: "Ilyas . Celik" icelik@localhost
  • From: Mark Dranse markd@localhost
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 17:00:36 +0200
  • Cc: "mat-wg@localhost" mat-wg@localhost

Dear Ilyas,

Ilyas . Celik wrote:
> As a LIR, I want to see IP address utilization for my AS when I query my
> AS from stat web site. It would be very nice if we get this information
> per prefix level.

For your own AS, your internal records should tell you how much space
you have assigned, and your own equipment should give an indication of
how much of each assignment is actually in use (how accurate this can
ever be is left as an exercise for the reader)

> In the MAT-GW presentation, Arbor Atlas presented that they are getting
> hourly data from 129 different provider. I think we can use this
> information as well to find exact utilization of the IP Address space of
> each AS.

As of May this year, there are over 37k ASes in the routing system,
announcing over 360k prefixes. I never like to say that anything is
impossible, but this task (although interesting) would certainly be very
hard.

> I’m looking forward to go for IPv6 in my network as well but there is
> fact that most of the network, access devices doesn’t support IPv6 yet.
> So there is still big demand for IPv4 and I’m sure we have some LIR that
> they are less than %50 utilization of IP Address. We can take this IPs
> from these LIRs if they don’t have a plan to use this addresses recently
> and give it to LIRs which they are really need this.

From the MAT perspective, I think that identifying used vs. unused
addresses is of notional interest, but I don't believe it's within the
means of the RIPE NCC to collect that data regionally, let alone globally.

The concept behind RIPEstat does fully support using third party
datasets (where permitted), and we'd be happy to add a plugin to expose
this if the dataset owner permitted.

On the topic of reassigning unused v4 space to needy LIRs, I'll point
you towards the Address Policy WG http://www.ripe.net/ripe/groups/wg/ap

Thanks for your suggestion, please keep these ideas flowing. If anyone
else has opinions on this topic, do please share.

Regards

Mark

--
Mark Dranse