Re: A Small Announcement

  • To: (Tony Bates)
  • From:
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 17:08:32 +0000 (GMT)
  • Cc:

Tony:

> As many of you have probably guessed, I am now working full time in
> the US for MCI. I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank many many
> of you for helping to make my time working at the RIPE NCC on the
> joint projects (and specifically PRIDE) an extremely enjoyable and
> productive two years. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the
> forthcoming RIPE meeting so I'll miss my chance to do the limericks WG
> report ;-) and say farewell.
>
> So to all, Happy new year and see you on the net.....
>
> 	Regards,
> 			--Tony.

I am sure all RIPErs past and present will join me in wishing you all
the very best.  Be sure to keep in touch.

It may not be widely known, but a sideways promotion in UKERNA means
that I may well not get to RIPE meetings in future either.  (In any
case, I've also just had my bowels re-arranged, and won't be back to
full time work until the summer anyway.  No sympathy please: I'm
enjoying convalescence immensely - just don't tell UKERNA or my wife,
OK?)

Which leads me of course to the most vital matter.  I really ought to
have negotiated my proposal properly in advance, but I can't remember
the name of the UK Prime Minister, and I can't spell the name of the
equivalent post in Eire.  Anyway, in the spirit of the current UK-Irish
cooperation (sometimes known (wrongly in my view) as Anglo-Irish
cooperation), I propose that:

 (i) I (on behalf of the UK, and hoping for support from Demon, EUnet
GB, PIPEX and others) submit a limerick to mark the occasion of Tony's
move;
 (ii) Mike Norris (on behalf of Eire, and with support from Irish
Operators everywhere) give the Limericks WG Report at the next meeting.

Is that a deal, Mike?

Good luck Tony, and indeed to you all, in the New Year.  I plan to be at
INET95, and hope to see many of you in Honolulu.

Best wishes,

 Phil
   (p.jones@localhost)
   (DDI: +44-1235-446618, S-B: +44-1235-445724, Fax: +44-1235-446251)
    (post: UKERNA, Atlas Centre, Chilton, Didcot, OXON, OX11 0QS, UK)