Re: [mat-wg] Live Egyptian Internet Incident Analysis

  • To: Daniel Karrenberg <daniel.karrenberg@localhost
  • From: "Richard L. Barnes" rbarnes@localhost
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:55:38 -0500
  • Cc: Randy Bush randy@localhost, Mark Dranse markd@localhost, mat-wg@localhost

It also seems like there are some things to learn here about how complex a
network (or collection of networks) can be subject to this sort of shut-down.
Iljitsch over at Ars Technica, for instance, is making the claiming that the
more complex technical environment (not *legal*) in some other countries could
make this harder.
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/01/how-egypt-or-how-your-government-could-shut-down-the-internet.ars>

I haven't thought about exactly what they would be, but it seems like there are
some measurements that could be done to back up this claim, i.e., to evaluate
the "shut-down-ability" of a national infrastructure, or conversely, its
robustness.  Things like diversity of connectivity across providers and
physical interconnection points come to mind.

--Richard