Re: DANTE CERT Service

  • To:
    (Simon Poole)
  • From: "Claus Kalle" < >
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 10:50:46 +0100
  • Cc:

On Dec 11,  4:44pm, Simon Poole wrote:
> Subject: Re: DANTE CERT Service
>
> Why would anybody fund a competitor to provide this service?
>
> Sorry, but the only way to go is via a trusted, neutral organisation
> (Ripe, perhaps Terena). -IF- European level coordination is needed in
> the first place, of which I remain unconvinced.

Somehow it appears to me that all this discussion comes up because of DANTE's
difficult role of being financed mostly by academic network organiz
ations (="neutral"?) however DANTE being a competitive service provider.

My impression is that the role of providing neutral ground for organizations
like CERTs should/can be taken over by federations like EurOpen for Europe and
the respective national groups like EurOpen.SE (Sweden), GUUG (Germany), NLUUG
(The Netherlands) & UKUUG (United Kingdom) and the others. More info about
EurOpen and the others can be found e.g. at
http://iaix3.informatik.htw-dresden.de/unix_europen.html

Regards,
Claus Kalle
Board member of the German Unix Users Group
--
Claus Kalle, University of Cologne Regional Computing Center   i   i
             Systems and Networking Dept.                      M   M  The