Re: Meeting, Charging & Documents

  • To: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • From: "Mike Norris" < >
  • Date: Mon, 09 Sep 96 11:26:28 +0100
  • Cc: RHS Linux User < >
    NCC Contributors < >

>the only tangible difference at the moment is that we publish the
>sizes for everyone to see and that we list larger LIRs before smaller
>ones in our reference pages.
>
>The self determined size categories go back to a time not so long ago
>when the Internet culture was slightly different and the ISPs agreed that
>this was a good mechanism to fund the NCC in a fair manner.
>
>Perhaps these times have passed and we need to investigate more stringent
>mechanisms to determine registry size?

Question: How to determine whether "these times have passed"?

Possible answer: Compare the distribution of RIPE NCC contributors
according to their self-declared size with the distribution of
IP address space allocated to them; in other words, compare theory
with reality.  If there's a mismatch, revise the theory.

Mike