Re: Open source for TT

  • To: Pim van Pelt < >
  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" < >
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:33:19 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc: Dimitrios Kalogeras < >

Hi,

> | we are currently  owner of a TT box.  We are considreing the possibility
> | to replicate this box ( hardware and software) in  our domain.
> | Have you considered the case of opening the project to the public. This
> | by no means that we are going to stop our subscription to Ripe TT
> | service. We are very happy with this service. We consider the RIPE fee
> | to cover the TT runing service.

> The case has been considered in the past. There's talks of opening some
> of the software, but apparently not all software is ready to be released
> to the public without creating an extra workload on the NCC folks. This
> has to do with support issues (ie, how to configure, install, deploy,
> collect data).

Replicating a test-box has been possible for a long time.  There is even a
web page that describes what you must do:

  http://www.ripe.net/ttm/Host_testbox/build_your_own.html

Essentially, this comes down to: find a PC that is compatible with what is
listed there, check if one can install FreeBSD 4.x on it, if it does: boot
with our boot-floppy.  The latter will re-install the machine with the TTM
software as a test-box that can be put in the regular measurement chain.

The tricky part is the clock-card, which is custom made.  However, we have
sold people just clock cards (or clock card plus antenna) in the past and
are happy to do so again.

It doesn't really matter to us where you get the hardware, as we get the
hardware from vendors and re-sell it against cost. However, we do not have
the resources to support every piece of computer hardware in existance and
write drivers for them. If FreeBSD 4.x supports your hardware, there is a
high probably that it will work for TTM, if it doesn't you're on your own.

In parallel with this, we are setting up a CVS server.  Unfortunately,
this takes a bit longer than I'd hoped, but when it is there, we'll put a
copy of the measurement software, the analysis code (that produces the
plots at http://www.ripe.net/ttm/Plots) and all other stuff we have,
there.

This will indeed be made available as is as, unfortunately, we do not have
the resources to support it.  However, if people have good suggestions for
improving the analysis, we're more than happy to hear them.  If the change
consists of source code, that's even better :-)

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)