RIPE-209 update

  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal \(RIPE-NCC\)" < >
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:57:02 +0200 (CEST)

Dear All,

In the next half hour, 2 documents will be posted on the RIPE-NCC
Test-Traffic website (http://www.ripe.net/test-traffic/).

* An update of RIPE-209. This is an update of the current proposal,
  incorporating the comments that we got from our lawyers and the
  RIPE-NCC board.

* "General Terms to the RIPE-NCC Test Traffic Measurement Service and
  Test-box Purchase Agreement".  This is the draft of the official
  contract between the RIPE-NCC and the test-box host.  Both parties
  will have to sign this document before a test-box can be delivered.
  This is a lot of legalise...

The main changes in RIPE-209 are:

* Section 1.1 has been added.

  It basically says that this document is an summary describing the
  service.  The actual sale of the boxes will be subject to the legal
  document, to be signed by the customer and the NCC.  The latter is
  binding, the RIPE-document isn't.

* Section 2.2 on membership of the RIPE-NCC has been removed.

  This followed from discussions with the board.  It turned out to be hard
  to define 2 membership categories within the current NCC by-laws and we
  therefor decide to offer TTM as a service _without_ membership attached
  to it.  This may sound like a radical change but in practice, this makes
  very little difference. There still one or two details to sort out here,
  and I hope to have more information on this issue next week.

* Sections 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6

  These have been reworded slightly based on the advice of our lawyers.
  What they now have in common, is that they restrict the use of the
  TTM technology (software, hardware and anything else) to test-boxes
  doing public experiments.  Any other use is not allowed under the
  service agreement.  However, the NCC can license the technology to
  anybody. In practice, this will not make a difference.

I'd like to discuss and then finalize these documents at RIPE37, so if
you're not attending this meeting and have any comments, please send them
to the list before Wednesday noon GMT.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.535-4414,  Fax -4445
1016 AB Amsterdam                   Home: +31.20.4195305
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746

A man can take a train and never reach his destination.
                                               (Kerouac, well before RFC2780).