Re: DANTE CERT Service

  • To:
    (Simon Poole)
  • From: "Claus Kalle" < >
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 10:50:46 +0100
  • Cc:

On Dec 11,  4:44pm, Simon Poole wrote:
> Subject: Re: DANTE CERT Service
> Why would anybody fund a competitor to provide this service?
> Sorry, but the only way to go is via a trusted, neutral organisation
> (Ripe, perhaps Terena). -IF- European level coordination is needed in
> the first place, of which I remain unconvinced.

Somehow it appears to me that all this discussion comes up because of DANTE's
difficult role of being financed mostly by academic network organiz
ations (="neutral"?) however DANTE being a competitive service provider.

My impression is that the role of providing neutral ground for organizations
like CERTs should/can be taken over by federations like EurOpen for Europe and
the respective national groups like EurOpen.SE (Sweden), GUUG (Germany), NLUUG
(The Netherlands) & UKUUG (United Kingdom) and the others. More info about
EurOpen and the others can be found e.g. at

Claus Kalle
Board member of the German Unix Users Group
Claus Kalle, University of Cologne Regional Computing Center   i   i
             Systems and Networking Dept.                      M   M  The
             E-Mail: Kalle@localhost                   /I\ /I\ Cologne
             Phone: +49 221 478 5580                          MIIIIIM Cathedral
             Fax:   +49 221 478 5590                          MiMiMiM
             Snail-Mail: Robert-Koch-Str. 10, 50931 Koeln     MIMiMiM  Germany

  • Post To The List: