Re: Ownership of RIPE Database

  • To: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • From: Peter Lothberg < >
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 92 15:18:02 MET DST
  • Cc: "Wilfried Woeber, ACOnet, +43(1)58801-3614" < >

>   > b) As we (RIPE!?) are apparently forced to act, my proposal is along the
>   > lines of Fidonet, X.400-MHS and/or the Free Software Foundation/GNU
>   > etc.: Have the RIPE-NCC with the endorsement of RIPE and/or RARE (?)
>   > hold the Copyright.  Then formally charge the holder of the copyright to
>   > provide the information freely, within the limits of the usual
>   > restrictions (not for profit, must not be restricted or altered if
>   > passed on, every copy must carry these tags, etc.)
>
> This seems to be a good idea but there must be a safeguard that the
> copyright holder complies with the rules and the community must be
> satisfied that this is likely to work. The NCC as such has no formal
> legal standing of its own and neither does RIPE. Of course RARE feels
> they are the right legal body. Does RIPE agree?

The database will be come a critical component for all IP networkers
in this part of the world. It's sort of the reed bottom to fire the
atomic messiles control we are talking about... In the right hand's
it might be good, in the wronq hands it's definetely baad.

I would like to see an arrangement where it is keept public, and if
we should  play with the copyright toy, make the copyright be held
by Santa Claus.

-Peter