SIRCE: Action Needed !

  • To: NCC Contributors < >
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:36:22 +0100
  • Cc: Reseaux IP Europeens < >

Dear customers, dear colleagues,

I have received quite some questions in response to my funding call for
SIRCE.  The following FAQ is a summary of the most popular ones.
Unfortunately the amount of funds committed so far is a bit
disappointing in the light of interest expressed earlier.
If people are unhappy about the proposal or any other aspect, please let
me know.  We cannot fix it if we are not told.

Thanks for your consideration.

Daniel Karrenberg

Q: I have had no time to read all the documents; can you please
summarise what SIRCE is?

A: SIRCE is a *coordination* service for security incident handling in
Europe.  SIRCE will *coordinate* the handling of incidents involving
more than one of its customers.  The *handling* of the incidents itself
is performed by the organisations involved and *not* by SIRCE.  In
addition SIRCE will provide general support services to enable its
customers to better handle security relevant incidents.  The target
customers for SIRCE, as proposed by the NCC, are the European ISPs.
SIRCE services and policies will be geared towards ISP needs.

Q: Do I need to set up my own Incident Response Team (IRT) in order to
use SIRCE services.

A: No, you can continue handling incidents like you do at present.
SIRCE customers will just be asked to identify contact persons for
security incident handling coordination.  If you wish, SIRCE will
provide support to set up an IRT or to otherwise improve your incident
handling capability.

Q: What makes SIRCE different from services like the CERT CC?

A: SIRCE has local focus because it concentrates on Europe and the ISPs
needs in particular.  Of course SIRCE will coordinate on a global scale
through similar organisations like the CERT CC.

Q: Will SIRCE publish details or statistics about incidents in a way
that reveals that my organisation was involved?

A: No.  Sirce will not publish details identifying customers involved
without explicit permission.  While detailed policies about statistics
will be established with input from all customers during the pilot, we
do not expect to publish statistics revealing the incident rate of
individual customers.

Q: Will SIRCE disclose details about incidents and/or my operational
procedures to other customers?

A: No.  Again the detailed policies will be developed during the pilot.
We expect these policies to be very conservative.  They are likely to
prefer direct information exchange between customers handling an
incident if sensitive areas are involved.

Q: When will SIRCE start operating?