Re: Last Resort Registries

  • To: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • From: Bjorn Eriksen < >
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 19:01:18 +0200
  • Cc: Local Internet Registries in Europe < >
    NCC Contributors < >

    >Consequently it has been proposed several times already to close down
    >the Last-Resort registries. I think it is now time to finally take
    >such a step with a timeframe of end Q3/95 or at the end of the year.

This seems to be in line with the current activities we have had as
beeing the last-resort for Sweden. During the past 5-6 month we have
assigned very few IP numbers. We do get lots of requests, but the
standard answers are

a. If you are connected to or plan to connect to a service provider, apply for
   IP numbers from them. If you don't know who to connect to, then find out.

b. If you have no plans at all to connect and/or announce your network to
   to global Internet, then use RFC 1597.

Between a and b there is almost nothing (catch 22). There are some rare
cases with someone connecting to someone that has Internet connectivity
and where RFC 1597 might be a problem, as there is no coordination who
has picked something from RFC 1597 (perhaps a new task for last-resorts
to coordination the national use of RFC 1597), then it does happen that
we still assign numbers but everyone is then told that they will most
certainly have to renumber in case they connect for real.
Checking the current statistics it's a clear decrease in our last-resort
assigned class C numbers

	9501	160
	9502	 95
	9503	 65