Re: ERX TF - Process

  • To: Rob Evans <
  • From: Shane Kerr <
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:40:52 +0200
  • Cc: leo vegoda <
    >, ERX Task Force <

On 2002-10-10 16:12:54 +0100, Rob Evans wrote:
> I apologise if this is a silly question, but when the ERX project
> was first mooted, I believe the suggestion was that for each of the
> /8s with "legacy" information, the delegation would be
> held by the nameservers of the RIR with the most assignments within
> that /8.

> From this proposal, it seems as though the information for each bit
> of legacy space will be held in the RIR local to the holder of the
> address space (which makes perfect sense).  Is this right, or have I
> misunderstood?

This is correct.

> Does this mean that the files will be composed of
> information from each of the databases?

Also correct.

> E.g. assuming I (in the RIPE region) have, and the
> majority of space in is held by ARIN.  I assume I will
> have to create a object in RIPE, and this will
> be used by ARIN to create the zone.  Is this the
> plan?

Well, more or less correct.  What you will need to do use use the
reverse delegation robot:

I'm not certain of what our DNS folks are planning, but basically
we'll maintain the NS records from part of a zone, and send them.  So
in the case above, we'd have something like:

97  NS

ARIN gets these records and merges them with the APNIC, LACNIC, and
of course the ARIN records and publishes this to the DNS.

> Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick? :)  (I'm just
> trying make sure I understand ready for the number of our users with
> such legacy space.)

The goal was for management of the ERX space to be as close to
management of non-ERX space as possible.  I believe this to be the
case.  The only difference you might perceive is a slightly longer (or
shorter!) delay between the time you register your IN-ADDR information
and the time it shows up in the DNS.  Hopefully.

Shane Kerr