RE: ENUM trials in general

  • To: "'Stastny Richard'" < >
    Jim Reid < >
  • From: Kevin McCandless < >
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:38:19 -0800

comments in line

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stastny Richard [
] > Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 7:55 AM > To: Jim Reid > Subject: RE: ENUM trials in general > > > I think people are always mixing up trials and commercial > applications. What is the reason of a trial: > > According to Robert W. Lucky the reason for trials is: > develop the technology > understand the economics > discover the difficulties > (and claim your stake) > > and I add another reason: get cheap beta-testers > > these guys do not have a problem with privacy, so > what is the problem? > > For a commercial application we may set up a white page > with opt-in, again what is the problem. > > A ENUM subsciber opt-in in User ENUM does anyway have no serios > problem with privacy and a nonlisted subscriber opting in in ENUM > needs to have his head examined anyway. We disagree with this statement. Even though I opt-in into ENUM I still want some of my information kept private. Today I can scan the whois database and not only get your domain information (much like a URI) but how about your home address or office address. Maybe I could show up at your door step just to say hello ;-( > > Most people talking about nonlisted numbers in ENUM (and > blocks of telco numbers) are mixing up User and Infrastructure > ENUM. Of course I cannot ask using ENUM for IN replacement if > the subscriber of a ported number is going into the IN (ENUM) > database. > > But in this case there is no privacy problem if I translate a E.164 > number > to a routing number e.g. +43178780 to 8620178780. Even if someone > queries this, he does not know more afterwards then before. > > regards > Richard > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Jim Reid [
] > > Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 2:15 PM > > To: Stastny Richard > > Cc: Sabine Dolderer/Denic; Michael Haberler; > > axel.pawlik@localhost carsten@localhost > > daniel.karrenberg@localhost enum-trials@localhost > > marco.bernardi@localhost richard@localhost > > Subject: Re: ENUM trials in general > > > > > > I am not convinced of the need for whois (either in general > > or for ENUM in particular). There is general consensus within > > the UK ENUM Group that a whois functionality is neither > > necessary nor desirable. I suppose this could change in light > > of experience gained during the trial. > > > > For ENUM, I think that ultimately DNS hosting will be done by > > the telco or equivalent entity that's responsible for some > > number block. If that's true, this entity can be the initial > > point of contact for any DNS technical issues which crop up. > > I wonder how often whois gets genuinely used for that purpose > > today? And for ENUM, there will be cases where people will > > want to register a domain and NOT have a whois entry at all: > > an unlisted phone number perhaps. I believe that some > > regulators can get uptight about providing a reverse lookup > > capability on telephone numbers. > > >