RE: ENUM trials in general

  • To: "Jim Reid" < >
  • From: "Stastny Richard" < >
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:55:00 +0100

I think people are always mixing up trials and commercial
applications. What is the reason of a trial:

According to Robert W. Lucky the reason for trials is:
develop the technology
understand the economics
discover the difficulties
(and claim your stake)

and I add another reason: get cheap beta-testers

these guys do not have a problem with privacy, so
what is the problem?

For a commercial application we may set up a white page
with opt-in, again what is the problem.

A ENUM subsciber opt-in in User ENUM does anyway have no serios
problem with privacy and a nonlisted subscriber opting in in ENUM
needs to have his head examined anyway.

Most people talking about nonlisted numbers in ENUM (and
blocks of telco numbers) are mixing up User and Infrastructure
ENUM. Of course I cannot ask using ENUM for IN replacement if
the subscriber of a ported number is going into the IN (ENUM) database.

But in this case there is no privacy problem if I translate a E.164
number
to a routing number e.g. +43178780 to 8620178780. Even if someone
queries this, he does not know more afterwards then before.

regards
Richard

] > Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 2:15 PM > To: Stastny Richard > Cc: Sabine Dolderer/Denic; Michael Haberler; > axel.pawlik@localhost carsten@localhost > daniel.karrenberg@localhost enum-trials@localhost > marco.bernardi@localhost richard@localhost > Subject: Re: ENUM trials in general > > > I am not convinced of the need for whois (either in general > or for ENUM in particular). There is general consensus within > the UK ENUM Group that a whois functionality is neither > necessary nor desirable. I suppose this could change in light > of experience gained during the trial. > > For ENUM, I think that ultimately DNS hosting will be done by > the telco or equivalent entity that's responsible for some > number block. If that's true, this entity can be the initial > point of contact for any DNS technical issues which crop up. > I wonder how often whois gets genuinely used for that purpose > today? And for ENUM, there will be cases where people will > want to register a domain and NOT have a whois entry at all: > an unlisted phone number perhaps. I believe that some > regulators can get uptight about providing a reverse lookup > capability on telephone numbers. >