Re: ETSI on Minimum Requirements for European ENUM Trials

  • To: "SPAN11_nar : ETSI SPAN11_nar list" < >
    < >
  • From: "Marco Bernardi" < >
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:35:38 +0100
  • Cc: "David Conrad" < >
    "Stastny Richard" < >
    "Richard Shockey" < >
    "Jim Reid" < >

All,

I'm a little confused. I've got the impression we are discussing DNSSEC and
a couple of other subjects (IPv6...) in relation to three different
contexts: ETSI document on the minimum requirements, ENUM trial national
implementation and finally ENUM commercial  phase. This does not help the
discussion.

The aim of the ETSI document is to propose a MINIMUM set of requirements
that can facilitate interoperability and interworking of ENUM national
trials in Europe. The ETSI document is just about trial and
interoperability and nothing more.

My take is that DNSSEC is not a MINIMUM requirements for trial
interoperability so it should not be recommended in the ETSI document (I
would say it's the same for IPv6). The support of DNSSEC or other
mechanisms to prevent spoofing is a national matter for each trial. The
decision of supporting DNSSEC in the trial has also to take into account
some practical aspects (e.g. costs, timeframe, extra complexity, etc...)
that
are likely to be different from country to country. It would be interesting
to have some trials (or portion of the same trial) with DNSSEC and others
without and then compare the results/feedbacks

For the ENUM commercial phase I would say it's to early to take any final
decision. Let's focus on the trials for the time being.

marco