[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Lightweight Anchors?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Jul 11 15:05:33 CEST 2013

Hi Kaveh,

thanks for listening, and bearing with me :-)

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 02:09:48PM +0200, Kaveh Ranjbar wrote:
> The open issue about TTM and Anchors was one the first things
> I've focused on. I agree with you that the pilot phase has taken
> too long and the outcome of the pilot was not transparent enough.
> That's why we are working on a public report to explain the
> findings from the pilot phase, outline our plans and then announce
> Atlas Anchors as an official RIPE NCC service by RIPE 67.

I don't particularily need a glossy public report - which is why I wasn't
asking on the public list, but here on the atlas pilot list...

> In short, we don't see having the big boxes necessary. An Anchor
> box should be able to support Atlas Anchor operations and upcoming
> versions of the firmware for the life cycle of the box, which we
> are putting at 5 years.
> This means a cheaper box should be definitely up to the job. There
> are still some operational requirements that we have for the
> management of the box, etc. and those requirements will be addressed
> in our detailed report but we don't see any need for a box with
> current specification.

Good news :-) - and this particular statement nicely answers my original
question, with little words and not much formality.  Thanks again.

Looking forward to see the new specifications (and the glossy report, of
course).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279