[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Lightweight Anchors?

Kaveh Ranjbar kranjbar at ripe.net
Thu Jul 11 14:09:48 CEST 2013

On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:26 PM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> "production" with *what*?
>
> Well.  I'm giving up on this.  You're not listening, and this is wasting
> my time.

Hello Gert,

Let me start with a quick introduction: From 10th of June I have been in charge of all activities of RIPE NCC's Science Division including RIPE Atlas and Atlas Anchors. This was announced here:
http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/announcements/changes-to-the-ripe-ncc-senior-management-team

The open issue about TTM and Anchors was one the first things I've focused on. I agree with you that the pilot phase has taken too long and the outcome of the pilot was not transparent enough.
That's why we are working on a public report to explain the findings from the pilot phase, outline our plans and then announce Atlas Anchors as an official RIPE NCC service by RIPE 67.

In short, we don't see having the big boxes necessary. An Anchor box should be able to support Atlas Anchor operations and upcoming versions of the firmware for the life cycle of the box, which we are putting at 5 years.
This means a cheaper box should be definitely up to the job. There are still some operational requirements that we have for the management of the box, etc. and those requirements will be addressed in our detailed report but we don't see any need for a box with current specification.

Please kindly give us a few weeks so we can finish our report. The subject will be much more clear for everyone by then which will help all participant to contribute.

Thank you for your feedback.

All the best,
Kaveh.

---