[Atlas-anchors-pilot] HW specs: the choice of *two*

Job Snijders job.snijders at atrato-ip.com
Sat Sep 29 11:28:55 CEST 2012

Hi all,

> On 12/09/28 09:37 , Gert Doering wrote:

>> OTOH, judging from our installed basis of servers, hardware outage
>> of an onboard GE chip is something I consider unlikely enough to
>> not worry about it in this context (I think we've seen more CPUs
>> and RAM go bad than ethernet cards).

Agreed. And given that 100% uptime of _individual_ anchor nodes is probably not one of the design-goals I wouldn't spend to much time on getting etherchannels everywhere. Many hosts will just terminate both the cables on a single TOR-switch.

Also, the second GE port could be utilized for management purposes. Imagine the main-link fills up with DDoS traffic, you'll have an extra way into the box to take appropiate action.

Kind regards,

Job