[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Provisional hardware specs for Atlas Anchors

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Tue Sep 11 11:12:47 CEST 2012

On 07.09.2012, at 16:42 , Paul Hoogsteder wrote:

> On 07-09-12 15:41, Daniel Karrenberg wrote:
>> On 07.09.2012, at 15:18 , Nick Hilliard wrote:
>>
>>> That's pretty reasonable, but a 3 year life-cycle is going to be shorter
>>> than most organisations' depreciation / accounting write-down periods.  For
>>> organisations which care about this sort of thing, this may cause problems
>>> because you've just upped the hardware cost of the service for them by 33%.
>> Three years is our write-down period and as far as I know it is mandated by the tax-man for this kind of kit in NL. I agree that it probably will last a year longer and maybe more, but we need to be sure that we will not be obligated to support kit that cannot be maintained. So would 4 years make you happy?
>>
>> Daniel
>>
> Hello Daniel,
>
> no, it's five years in the Netherlands, the rules changed at least five
> years ago (from 3 years).

I needed to check back with the experts:

We write servers off in three years. The fiscal life time has indeed gone to 5 years in 2007. This is not really relevant for us as we are not paying corporate tax. So Nick, the Dutch tax man lives in the 1900s if it is any consolation to you. ;-)

Given all the feed-back we will see about the replacement schedule. Our main driver here is maintainability. I think 4 years should be doable, maybe more but I need a good talk with the engineers who have to do it in the end.

Daniel