[Atlas-anchors-pilot] Provisional hardware specs for Atlas Anchors

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Fri Sep 7 02:06:40 CEST 2012

On 06/09/2012 23:07, Gert Doering wrote:
> I don't particularily want to run an Akamai node on that, so I'm wondering
> what insane amount of disk io is expected that warrants about 1400 EUR
> for hard disks.

in terms of hardware, a better discussion point would be:  what are atlas's
requirements in terms of CPU horsepower, local disk space, RAM and network
connectivity.  Yes, 3 years is quite a short refresh interval.  I would
expect to usefully run most servers for several years longer than that.

These configuration requirements will be contingent on the baseline
question which is: what sort of software configuration will these boxes be
expected to run.  Is this single image linux / freebsd, or is it going to
be N operating systems running under some hypervisor.  I'm sort-of guessing
the latter, even though virtualisation causes havoc with accurate timing -
and consequently accurate measurement.

Nick