Re: [mat-wg] Comments on RIPEstat

  • To: "Richard L. Barnes" rbarnes@localhost
  • From: Mirjam Kuehne mir@localhost
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:40:28 +0100
  • Cc: mat-wg@localhost

Dear colleagues,

Sorry this comes a bit late, but since Richard was referring to the RIPEstat demo session, the minutes have been published on RIPE Labs just after the call:

http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ripestat-live-demo-2

Kind Regards,
Mirjam Kuehne
RIPE NCC

Richard L. Barnes wrote:
Just wanted to start a thread on this list where people could contribute thoughts about RIPEstat.
To get things started, here are a few things that occurred to me during the
call this morning:

-- Time zooming is awesome.  I haven't yet looked to see if this zooms the
linked raw data as well; if it doesn't it should.

-- YAML might not be everyone's preferred format for data.  It might be nice for the "raw
data" link to go to a page that displays the data (e.g., as a table) with links at the top:
"Download as: YAML, CSV, JSON, XML, ..."

-- The AJAX loading is good, but there's no "busy indicator" that tells me that
the request is outstanding, vs. the blocks simply not loading.

-- The idea of country indexes (http://stat.ripe.net/country/dk) seems like it
could be handy and not too difficult to implement.  It would probably be
accurate enough to get the geolocation from the delegation files and call up
information for those resources.

-- +1 on the addition of a methodology link.  Again, would be useful,
especially for first-time or occasional users, and not too hard to implement
(just some static text).  Stylistically speaking, it's probably a small enough
bit of text that it could be done as an AJAX popup/overlay.

Thanks for keeping the community involved in this project,
--Richard