Re: [mat-wg] Comments on RIPEstat

  • To: "Richard L. Barnes" rbarnes@localhost
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg <daniel.karrenberg@localhost
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:18:41 +0100
  • Cc: mat-wg@localhost

On 22.02 05:58, Richard L. Barnes wrote:
> -- The AJAX loading is good, but there's no "busy indicator" that tells me
> that the request is outstanding, vs. the blocks simply not loading.

Yes, please add that! In REX it even gives a time estimate in case of longer
waits.

> -- The idea of country indexes (http://stat.ripe.net/country/dk) seems like
> it could be handy and not too difficult to implement.  It would probably be
> accurate enough to get the geolocation from the delegation files and call up
> information for those resources.

I would base it on Maxmind prefi location to start with. They are somewhat
better in terms of locating
where addresses are used. Starting with what we had on the Egypt page would not
be that bad.

> -- +1 on the addition of a methodology link.  Again, would be useful,
> especially for first-time or occasional users, and not too hard to implement
> (just some static text).  Stylistically speaking, it's probably a small
> enough bit of text that it could be done as an AJAX popup/overlay.

Again: See what is in REX. I suggest putting two links "What does this
mean?"/"What is this?" and "Methodology".
The first one should describe the box in terms of what it shows and what that
is useful for, the second
should describe the methodology in a more scientific way, e.g. which datasets
are used and how are they
created.

Daniel