Some discussion from ARIN XI

  • To: PI Policy Task Force < >
  • From: leo vegoda < >
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:18:36 -0400

Hi all,

There has been some discussion of portable address space at the ARIN XI meeting. I'm reporting here as this may be useful to consider in your own discussions about portable address space.

The issues discussed were raised in these policy proposals:

Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks
http://www.arin.net/policy/2002_3.html

Policy Proposal 2003-6: Micro-Assignments with Sponsorship
http://www.arin.net/policy/2003_6.html

Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks
http://www.arin.net/policy/2002_3.html

The reason 2002-3 came back was that it had received strong support at the ARIN X meeting in October.

Issues raised during the discussion included the following:

- Does multi-homing matter?
- Is load balancing from a single provider a problem?
- Rush for space?
- Impact on routing table?
- should the minimum allocation prefix length be reduced to /22?

There was a suggestion to reduce the minimum allocation to a /21 from a /20. There was also a strong assumption that provider independent space should go hand in hand with multi-homing.

It would be interesting to know the thoughts of people in our region on these topics.

Minutes of the discussions will be available from this page quite soon:

http://www.arin.net/membership/meetings/mem_min.html

Best regards,

--
leo vegoda