Re: Meeting, Charging & Documents

  • To: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • From: "Mike Norris" < >
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 96 13:25:11 +0100
  • Cc: Willi Huber < >
    NCC Contributors < >

Thanks, Willi, for getting the discussion going and
Daniel for reminding us of the opportunity to make and
hear some views before next Wednesday.

The activities plan for 1997 looks quite comprehensive
although it is highly likely that it may need revision
during the year, particularly in the area of new
activities (almost by definition).  A consequence of
the plan is a large increase in staff numbers, to
more than 23 people.  I'm sure some thought has been
given to suitable accomodation for these people, but
wonder how it's going to be managed...  Also, the
increased responsibility taken on by the director
must be of some significance.

HEAnet would like to see some relationship between
NCC charges and usage of their services.  At the same
time, the model should be fairly simple and transparent,
and should not involve so much resource as to dilute
the fine effort which the NCC devotes to its core
activities.  On this basis, model 3 is to be favoured.

Model 2 is certainly not budget-neutral and it would have
most impact on core activities, so it is our least-favoured
option.  Given that it has worked for some years, model
1 would be acceptable.

I plan to attend the meeting.

Regards.

Mike