NCC Reports

  • To: NCC Contributors < >
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 13:08:31 +0200

Dear contributors,

as you undoubtedly have noticed the NCC still has not produced any
Quarterly Reports in 1995.  The reason for this is the severe overload
we are experiencing in the registration functions.  This is caused by
the unprecedented growth of the European Internet and the number of
local registries in particular.  Since this situation is not expected to
imporve before late September I will informally report developments to
you in this way.

The bad news is that at this point in time we are still unable to clear
the backlog of 100+ requests in registration services (hostmaster).  We
have redirected considerable resources to registration service and all
other activities are suffering from that.  Also Anne Lord, who has been
with us from the start, will leave the NCC in mid-July for new
challenges in her home country.

All the other news fortunately is somewhat better:

As I have reported earlier, we could not hire new staff until the
revenue situation was more stable.  Fortunately this is now the case.
For details see the revenue report I will send in a few minutes.  The
expected revenue is now sufficient to support additional resources at
the NCC.  See the expenditure planning report which will also follow
shortly.

Consequently TERENA has authorised the hiring of two more junior
hostmasters and a deputy NCC manager.

This brings the number of junior hostmasters to join the NCC team this
summer to three.  We are have already hired 1.5 of the three FTEs and
hope to quickly hire all three form replies to our earlier recruitment
effort.  We will also start recruiting a replacement for Anne Lord and
the deputy manager shortly.  We expect that registration services will
be back to our traditionally excellent level of service by late
September.

We have also started support activities for new local registries.
Yesterday we held the first introductory course on European registry
procedures, which was very well received.  We will hold further courses
during the summer, the first one being sheduled on July 10th in Munich.
While helping new registries to start quickly this is also expected
to relieve some of the extra load new registries place on
registration services.

In conclusion the NCC is still going through a difficult period with
registration services dominating all activities and service levels being
lower than desirable.  However relief is now in sight and should be
effective by the autumn.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Daniel Karrenberg
RIPE NCC Manager