Re: FYI: Registry Billing Category Now in Registry List

  • To: Giordano Pezzoli < >
  • From: Daniel Karrenberg < >
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 18:40:37 +0200
  • Cc:
    (Giordano Pezzoli)

  > Giordano Pezzoli <G.Pezzoli@localhost writes:
  >
  > EUnet Italy (IUnet) has committed to pay -- via EUnet -- 6000ECU
  > as a middle size network. EUnet has already invoiced to us the
  > amount and they said that informed the RIPE of the change of
  > status for EUnet Italy from being serviced thru EUnet to
  > serviced directly from the RIPE NCC.

Giordano,

since you have chosen to give your complaint quite a large audience
I have no choice but to copy the same audience on my reply.
I just hope that this becomes not the usual way of handling things.
If you have problems with the NCC, please complain to the NCC staff.
If you are still unhappy, please complain to *me*. If you are still
unhappy then, tell whoever you like; I might suggest some people that
matter though.

Here is the sequence of events:

Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:03:51 +0100

We receive the signed RIPE NCC Service Agreement from EUnet.
Registry it.eunet is *not* on the list of registries to
be supported individually.

On March 10th or 13th (I do not remember exactly)

I get a call from Wim Vink of EUnet BV informing me that EUnet Italy
should be supported individually. I inform Wim that we need this in
writing including the applicable charging category and
a statement to the effect that EUnet BV will pay the requisite charges.
We agree that a new agreement form is not necessary, just the
above information in writing.

Tue, 14 Mar 1995 16:44:10 +0100

We remind EUnet BV that we need the information faxed in order to
change your service level.

Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:34:09 +0100

We receive a FAX from EUnet BV which does *not* contain the agreed
information. Particularly it says nothing about the charging category
nor does it imply a statement regarding payment.

Mon, 27 Mar 1995 15:05:14 +0200

We request the information again in a message to EUnet BV, stressing
that we will change the service level of it.eunet as soon as we have
a FAX copy of the letter.

Today Thu, 30 Mar 1995 16:24:16 +0200

We receive another FAX from EUnet BV,
this time with the required information.

Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:00:04 +0200

I receive your complaint.

Today Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:42:27 +0200

we change the service level and billing status in the registry database.
Here is the SCCS change log:
D 1.6 95/03/30 17:42:27 billing 6 5     00002/00000/00030
Let me stress that your complaint had no influence on this.
It was done routinely as the FAX message from EUnet BV was processed.

  > But, I see in the RIPE registries directory the following entry,
  > which, BTW, is wrong

We will gladly correct it as we always do if someone tells us about
changed data.

  > Furthermore, I applied for a class B request for DATAMAT which has
  > been unanswered by March 13. What's happens?

Mon, 13 Mar 95 10:44:02 GMT

we have received your request.

Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:27:11 +0100

we have informed you that according to our agreement with EUnet BV
this request should be handled through them. A copy of the message
went to EUnet BV.

In conclusion  I have to say that there is no reason for you to complain
about the RIPE NCC. We have correctly responded to all requests/messages
within about one working day. The delays in this case are not our fault.

We have to ask your understanding that we have to be a bit formal in
registry matters as we are dealing with 180+ registries and the number
is still growing. We always try to make procedures as clear as possible
and my staff certainly is as helpful to newcomers as they can be given the
still very tight staffing situation.

I hope this explanation is sufficient for you and that we can now
return to a fruitful cooperation.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Daniel Karrenberg
RIPE NCC Manager