Re: DDoS tracking WG

  • To: Jan Czmok < >
  • From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" < >
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:01:16 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc:
    < >

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Jan Czmok wrote:

> Daniel Concepcion (dani@localhost) wrote:

> > As far I know there isn't any ddos tracking working group in Ripe.

Yes and no.  About 2 years ago, the TECHSEC Working Group was established,
this WG deals with the technical aspects of Internet security.  So-far,
discussion has mainly focussed on DNSSEC and CIRT, but the charter of the
WG is broad enough to include DDOS tracking.  If you are interested in
this topic, speak up on the mailinglist techsec-wg@localhost.

(And this applies to other topics as well, if you think it is related to
an existing WG (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/wg/index.html) speak up on the
list for the WG, if the topic doesn't belong in any group, ask the chair
for a BoF on the topic).

> We should discuss about this, since NOT every one is RIPE member and
> still valuable in the community.

This is a common misunderstanding.  There are 2 organizations: RIPE and
the RIPE NCC.

RIPE is an informal organization of people interested in IP-networks in
Europe and surrounding areas.  There is no formal membership, mailling
lists are open to everyone, anyone can attend the meetings, activities are
performed by individuals on a voluntary basis.

The RIPE NCC is a service organization it performs activities primarily
for the benefit of the membership in Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia
and African countries located north of the equator. These are mainly
activities that its members need to organise as a group, even though they
may compete in other areas.  Examples are IP/AS registration, TTM, whois,
and more.

See http://www.ripe.net and click on "about RIPE" and "about RIPE NCC" for
more information.

Henk (speaking for myself, not as a RIPE NCC employee).

Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: henk.uijterwaal@localhost
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)